1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which pickguard for my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ObeyGiant, Aug 8, 2012.

1. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    I have a 2002 MIM Fender Precision Deluxe Special passive bass and I am not a fan of the goofy looking gold pickguard. I was just wondering which style of pickguard would fit my bass. I was on a website I stumbled upon wdmusic.com and they had different sizes (closest one is mexican standard I think).

If anyone knows of a better (cheaper) place to get one too that would be awesome! Thanks.

2. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    Anyone?

3. What color is the bass?

4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    What color is your bass now? Fingerboard type?

I actually put an ano gold guard on my P, 'cuz it's very durable, looks good (to me), and wears nicely. Plus, I like the looks of Willie Weeks' bass.

Many options out there for sure.

wraub

p.s. fuzzy was faster, but the q still stands...

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have an '06 MIM Deluxe P Bass Special, and also didn't like the stock gold PG - I painted mine:

IMAG0447.

The problem with replacing the PG on these is the spacing of the pots - the preamp makes fitting of a standard P Bass PG impossible... The most cost effective option I found would be ordering a PG from Warmoth, without holes drilled for the pots - then using the original as a template to drill your own holes for the pots...

I would not recommend WD Music - they're overpriced, and don't consistantly do good work - here's a Jazz PG from them I had to return:

IMAG0160.

Besides, they overcharged me on another PG, and refused to refund the difference - crappy company, crappy, overpriced product...

- georgestrings