Which pickguard on a '72 Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassmanDk, Feb 21, 2006.

1. BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    I'm gathering parts to restore a black '72 Jazz with a maple fretboard. Unfortunataly the pickguard's missing. The only other black '72 Jazz I've seen is Geddy's with a white pickguard. Are this the only "true original" colour on a black Fender. Could it be possibly to use a patchment white, a tortoise or a black if it still has to look somewhat original? Plz comment on the 3 colours. Thx.
    And where can i get some original hardware parts for the bridge? I know Fender but they don't have to look brandnew!:)
  2. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    White (whate/black/white, actually) was the original color for '70's Black Jazz basses until '75, when it became black/white/black. Pearliod was probably the standard for '60's black Jazz basses. Use whatever you want; it's your bass, and no matter what you put on it, it won't be original anymore anyway.
  3. StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I would go with a red tort guard, it looks amazing and keeps the vintage vibe.

4. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Id usually say go with red tort, but with your bass I would go with black. Black on black against a maple fretboard looks killer.
  5. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    +1 with the B on B look.
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    To echo a previous post, and if my memory is correct black/white/black or white/black/white (ala Geddy) were the standard pickguards for a black body at that time.

My newer P-Bass is black on black and I think it looks really cool. But I've seen some really sweet looking TBer-owned black basses with tortoise shell pickguards. I now plan on replacing my black PG with a Tort-shell PG.
  7. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Get both tort and black, and switch them time to time.

White on black is boring, IMO.
  8. +3 on the Red. Tort...
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Make that +4.

I think white Fenders need black pearl 'guards, and black ones need red tort.
  10. BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    Wow you guys are saying out loud what i've been thinking.
    I think the white-on-black a la Geddy looks sterile and cold. So now i think i'll get a tortoise for it since my other Jazz, a '77 is black-on-black, but could this combo, tort.-on-black, have occured in 1972? I know that the vintage value isn't high since it's a replacement but still i'd like the correct vintage look!
  11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I vote white pearloid or black pearloid. I've just never been a fan of the tort. It reminds me of bloody vomit or the like.
  12. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
  13. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My vote goes to W-B-W (same as my early-70s Jazz... also the look of Clapton's favorite Strat :bag:)

Possibly white pearloid instead... BWB and tort will also look good.