Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pickguard on a '72 Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassmanDk, Feb 21, 2006.

1. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    I'm gathering parts to restore a black '72 Jazz with a maple fretboard. Unfortunataly the pickguard's missing. The only other black '72 Jazz I've seen is Geddy's with a white pickguard. Are this the only "true original" colour on a black Fender. Could it be possibly to use a patchment white, a tortoise or a black if it still has to look somewhat original? Plz comment on the 3 colours. Thx.
    And where can i get some original hardware parts for the bridge? I know Fender but they don't have to look brandnew!:)

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    White (whate/black/white, actually) was the original color for '70's Black Jazz basses until '75, when it became black/white/black. Pearliod was probably the standard for '60's black Jazz basses. Use whatever you want; it's your bass, and no matter what you put on it, it won't be original anymore anyway.

3. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I would go with a red tort guard, it looks amazing and keeps the vintage vibe.

4. +1 on the red tort.
    :cool:

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    +2 on the red tort

6. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Id usually say go with red tort, but with your bass I would go with black. Black on black against a maple fretboard looks killer.

7. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    +1 with the B on B look.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    To echo a previous post, and if my memory is correct black/white/black or white/black/white (ala Geddy) were the standard pickguards for a black body at that time.

My newer P-Bass is black on black and I think it looks really cool. But I've seen some really sweet looking TBer-owned black basses with tortoise shell pickguards. I now plan on replacing my black PG with a Tort-shell PG.

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Get both tort and black, and switch them time to time.

White on black is boring, IMO.

10. +3 on the Red. Tort...

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Make that +4.

I think white Fenders need black pearl 'guards, and black ones need red tort.

12. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    Wow you guys are saying out loud what i've been thinking.
    I think the white-on-black a la Geddy looks sterile and cold. So now i think i'll get a tortoise for it since my other Jazz, a '77 is black-on-black, but could this combo, tort.-on-black, have occured in 1972? I know that the vintage value isn't high since it's a replacement but still i'd like the correct vintage look!

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I vote white pearloid or black pearloid. I've just never been a fan of the tort. It reminds me of bloody vomit or the like.

14. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    +2

15. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My vote goes to W-B-W (same as my early-70s Jazz... also the look of Clapton's favorite Strat :bag:)

Possibly white pearloid instead... BWB and tort will also look good.