1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which pickguard screws sound better: chrome, black or gold?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillMason, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I don't think there's nearly enough of the the "which __________ sounds better" threads, so here's another one: Pickguard screws *have* to have an impact on your tone, as the different finishes would all resonate with the tone woods differently!

Some other suggested "which __________ sounds better" threads:
    - three tone sunburst versus two tone sunburst (irrespective of age or contry of manufacture, the extra stains used in the 3TS *have* to affect your tone!)
    - tort pickguard versus any other colour versus no pickguard (4 ply, come on, can't *you* hear a difference?)
    - chrome knurled knobs versus plastic strat style knobs versus vintage J style knobs (sound waves reverberating from the strings to the knobs and back to the pickups... it's gotta have an effect!)
    - carpet versus tolex (maybe this one is too obvious)
    - BadAss II versus BadAss III (easy answer, the upgraded model, the III!!!)

We need sound clips!!!!

2. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Sorry if all this has been posted already. TB needs a search function!!! :mad:

3. I like pickguard screws. :)

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Black oxide has a warmer tone. Good lows and low mids, but not much high end.

Chrome plating gives you excellent mid range punch and great definition.

Gold plating is similar to black oxide in tone, with a little more high mid presence.

5. I use custom made, hollow platinum screws, extra durability with immense resonance...
    My attempt at humor :(

6. Yes, but chrome screws may lead to unwanted overtones, due to their "tinny" appearance.

7. seriously? they're SCREWS for cryin' out loud! :confused:

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i suggest taking the screws out and supergluing the pickguard directly to your taint. It sounds great!

9. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    Gotta be original oxidized vintage pickguard screws on a shrunken 3-ply tort for maximum mojo.

10. I need to know what screws Justin Chancellor uses so I can get his righteous tone.

11. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    There's always room for more sarcastic threads... :bag:

Black screws sound better ;)

12. tempo2112

tempo2112

Jun 27, 2006
    Wirral, UK
    I find vintage screws to be warmer, but modern ones are quieter in the studio. Sometimes I use alternating screws to tune to "my tone" ;)

13. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    You'd be surprised at the effect the pickguard screws can have on tone! I changed mine from chrome to black and noticed increased sustain, notes lasted about 22 seconds longer overall.

Screws = the cheapest and best upgrade you can do to a bass. FACT.

14. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    handmade relic'ed ones :help:

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    they just did a clinical study on this at Yale, its true.

16. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx

Word

17. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I prefer stainless steel pickguard screws. They really added some zing to my Jazz V!!! :D

18. According to an Oxford study, the length of sustain was only 15 seconds. Which source is more reliable? :confused:

19. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Brown University actually scientifically proved that all of Oxford's calculations are off by 7 units.

20. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    This is an on going debate that we can't come to a definative end because of our personal preferences. One thing I'm sure we can all agree on is that the impact they have is huge. My Ibanez doesn't have a pickguard at all and I felt it wasn't getting the tone I was looking for so I started screwing in pickguard screws in various places into the quilted maple top until I got the tone I was looking for. I really dialed it in when I started trying different colors. For my taste I chose gold for the warm low end growl the produce. Sure it looks hideous with a couple of dozen extra holes and screws that APPEAR to do nothing but we know better. It's all about the tone. :smug:

OOD likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.