1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AB53211, Aug 18, 2007.

1. white

50.8%
  2. tort

49.2%
  1. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    I have a sunset orange transparent/rosewood jazz bass and I'm thinking about switching the pickguard. What do you think, keep it white or change to tort?

DSC00019.

this is a more accurate picture of the color
    DSC00710.

2. If it was a maple board itd be beggin for some white pearloid.

3. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I have a hard time visualizing the sunset orange transparent with a tortoise shell pick guard. The tortoise shell wouldn't provide much contrast and may make the bass appear darker (not necessarily a bad thing). It might be worth it to get one and see how it looks. They're not that expensive and, if you don't like it you can always sell it.

4. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Black.

:ninja:

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    pic as it is now?

6. Oh, get the tort! :hyper:

Tortoise shell pickguards are my absolute favorites with any color guitar or bass.

I especially like them with sunburst finishes, as they remind me of the 60s & 70s Fenders I used to see everywhere as I was growing up.

I think sunset orange and a tort guard would look mad cool. :cool:

If not tort, then black, but I'd say ditch the white.

Mike

7. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    I'll say black, I had a green bass w/rose wood and adding the dark pickguard to the vibrant bass gave it a really sharp, sophisticated look.

Go to http://www.ernieball.com/ and use the musicman "build an instrument" creator to get an idea of the look.

Black:
    orangesterling.

Tort:
    orangesterlingtort.

Those are Sterlings but you get the idea, black looks mean but if you don't like that I'd stick with white or change to a white pearl.

8. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    Picture posted. It's really hard take a picture of this bass. The orange isn't as bright as the picture.

PS I'm not a fan of pearl or black pickguards

9. If your avatar is the guitar in question...go white perloid.

10. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Black or black pearloid would be cooler.

11. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    If you don't like black or the white pearl I'd say leave it white. Basses look good when you match the inlays to the guard IMO.

12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I thought black too. Maybe even white pearloid.

13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I thought it should be either pearl or black too, and although I'm a huge tort fan, can't see it as a good thing with this color; so I voted white.