Which pickup do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Neck

6 vote(s)
  2. Bridge

2 vote(s)
  3. Both

20 vote(s)
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
  1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Both, neck, bridge? What do you use?
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I had to answer other because I use all of the above options. The bridge and neck spots offer different sounds. Sometimes I go after one and not the other. Sometimes I like a mixture of the two.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Usually both, I just find that sound is the most ballanced between fat and bassy and cutting.

I favor the neck pickup on my Jazz basses and roll off the tone controll if I want a fatter sound, but I favor the bridge pickup when I want a more nasally sound.

I favor the bridge pickup on my new Valenti when I want a punchier sound and I favor the neck pickup when I want a P bass sound.
  4. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I HATE the bridge's nasaly sound. But I still use both, though i use maybe 80% neck and 20% bridge for some clarity.
    Almost all of my growl comes from my GK set-up so i don't need my bridge pickup for that..
    Oh, and I voted neck...
  5. If your meaning soloed - Well I can't because they are on the same volume knob. If you mean where I play - Lately it's been right in between because I get a fat, yet growly tone from it that I'm digging.
  6. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm inclined to leave both the pickups on my Jazz wide open. Why? Because I like the way it sounds and there's no 60 cycle hum although the Nordstrand pups are pretty quiet in that respect anyway.
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    All of the above. Whatever gets the sound I'm looking for, depends on the instrument and the song. On a 2 pickup bass, if I had to pick one pickup, it'd usually be the pickup positioned roughly 1/2 way between the neck and the bridge. On most of my basses this is the neck pickup; I don't like having the neck pickup all the way against the fretboard, gets in the way. My Mouradian's neck pickup is right up against the fretboard, where I don't like it, and I don't think it sounds that great, so on that bass I stick to the bridge pickup, which is actually positioned close to where the neck pickup is on my other basses, If I'm making any sense.

On the others, I use a blend of both pickups most of the time. The bridge pickup adds some highs, but can sound pretty thin by itself. My Alembic sounds great on either or both pickups, bridge is brighter neck is more vintage sounding .
  8. jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    I play with the bridge soloed most of the time, and only neck/both rarely..

I don't know why though.. I used to prefer the neck/both, then I read some article somewhere that was about playing with bridge pickups.

So I experimented a bit with playing with the bridge pickup, and I guess that's how it's been since then. Lately, I've just gotten the habit of selecting the bridge pickup, without really thinking about it.

I will reconsider my thing with soloing the bridge pickup, cause I'm not sure if it's just a nasty habit or the way I want it.
  9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    On my 55-01, I the pup pan knob is set right smack in the middle.

On my HomeGrown PJ, I vary it a little... Either right in the middle, or I favor the P pup (front) somewhat. I went w/ a mixed set of Bartlini pups, & the front is an 8CBP, & that rear is a standard 9JL1. I over all prefer this P pup, to this J pup.