1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which pickup for a Precision mod :)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrWalker, Jan 4, 2014.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I got lucky and got a dirt cheap Asian '51 Precision knock-off at a really low price. The bass is actually not bad, the neck and body are worth hanging on to, but the pickup is pretty crappy.

So I am debating whether I should mod it into a Cabronita and route in a Filtertron pickup (or a TV Jones if I'm really gonna add money to it), or just upgrade the pickup with a Quarter pounder or something to that effect. This is unknown territory for me, however, as I have no experience with any of these pickups. The aim is to make a "rock'n'roll" and "old school" type Precision bass for those "retro" gigs that I play once every 15th year :D

So what should I pick?! Filtertron/TV Jones or keep the single-coil Telecaster vibe?

And if I go the last route, should I go for the Seymour Duncan Basslines Hot or Quarterpounder, or the Antiquity one?

Any thoughts and recommendations highly appreciated :hyper:

This is what the bass looks like now:
    [​IMG]

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd stick with one pickup.

I am using a bassculture pickup on a 51' style P bass and can recommend it wholeheartedly.

3. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I was gonna stick with one pickup, but if I go "Cabronita", I would have to widen the routing to accomodate a Filtertron or a TV Jones. So, keep the Telecaster look and feel, or go for something like this:
    [​IMG]

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  5. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    There was a thread somewhere of someone picking up a Rickenbacker pickup cover and pickup.. the big chrome job by the bridge. You'll get a single coil sound and have a very unique bass if you can play with that hunk of metal as a thumb rest.

6. Rio Grande Muy Grande.

7. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Cool ideas, guys :) I ordered a one music direct replacement as the guy in the Squier thread used, will see if that is a good improvement in itself. This is definitely a good test bed bass, it's got decent build quality and sounds nice dry, so maybe I should test different things in it :) first off, let's see the one music one. Then I guess anything could be tested :)
    I love the Rio Grande :)