Which Pickup for Hotrodding a P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Martybass, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Jazz

5 vote(s)
  2. MM

9 vote(s)
  3. Dual Jazz

3 vote(s)
  4. Standard Humbucker

2 vote(s)
  5. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
  1. I'm just mooting the idea at the moment. I've still got my beginner bass and have started to mod it, pickups, Badass; jazz neck is a definite soon (small hands) and I've been thinking about going the whole hog and hotrodding it with another pickup nearer the bridge.

So, what's it to be? I'd love to hear about some experiences with this kind of thing (and pics too!)

Cheers all,

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    To me, the ultimate would be a double Jazz with a three way switch for single coil, parallel humbucker, and series humbucker operation a la the Fender Roscoe Beck. Second choice would be a high output noiseless Jazz, like a Duncan Hot Stack.
  3. Cool! Thanks. Anyone else?
  4. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I went for MM, in the standard MM location (though I'm not entirely sure that's possible). P/J is tried and true, but P/MM would give you some cool options. P/JJ seems like a great combo, but I've never actually tried it. How about a Sterling pickup? Then you could have the classic MM sound and the coil tap.

Anyway, here's a P/MM that a guy did a little while ago that looks sweet: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201127
  5. Yeah I was also considering a coil tap, in which case the JJ and the MM would be essentially the same thing in a different look wouldn't it? So that would just be down to aesthetics and manufacturer differences in sound...

Do tell if I'm wrong there.
  6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666

Kent Armstrong MM PU wired humbucking/single coil/series. This pickup reads 13.5 ohms. Roars in humbucking, very sweet in either single or series. :hyper:
  7. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't know for sure, but I think you'd get pretty different sounds from a MM vs. a JJ. The MM has a wider spacing, and presumably different magnetic and electrical characteristics. Also, they are generally put in different places (though there's nothing stopping you from putting any pickup anywhere you want). Hopefully someone else can chime in on what the differences would be, as I've never tried a JJ.

Anyway, I'm a similar situation to yours right now (trying to decide between several pickup combinations), so I'd be interested to hear how your project turns out.
  8. I forgot about that! Good point. I'm not sure this how long it would take to get this project going, but It will be done sometime... You'd probably end up getting it sorted before me.
  9. The MM position overlaps the standard P location, so it will be one or the other. Routing and filling will be required, or use a pick guard to cover up the excavation.

I have the standard positions marked in my spread sheet. Download from my signature.