Which Pickup for Ibanez SR305?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RacingBeat, Apr 5, 2004.

1. I have an Ibanez SR305, and I want to change the pickups and internal pre-amp, because it sounds like crap. Which kinds of electronics/pickups do you recommend?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    It all depends on what you are looking for in your sound....

What do you want it to sound like?
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well I can't speak for racingbeat, but I do have an SR505 and am trying to decide what kind of pickups to put in them. I want a nice warm, smooth sound. BASSically, something like John Paul Jones in the early Zeppelin days on tracks like "What is and What Should Never Be" and "The Lemon Song". Maybe I'll just get a MIM jazz bass and sell the ibanez, but I'd probably miss the preamp. What do you guys think?
  4. CaneyBoniface

Feb 17, 2015
    Bartolini MK1 pickups.
    Seymour Duncan Active 3-Band Tone Circuit™ STC-3P onboard preamp.
    Just like my SR305 IPT
  5. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Aren't current 305 pickups P2 sized? If so, there are several alternatives, from Barts, who developed this size, to Aguilar and others.
  6. Dan Bass

Dan Bass Banned

May 26, 2014
    Virginia Beach.
    An SR505 would sound awesome if you put 2 ACTIVE EMG 40DC HUMBUCKERS with the ACTIVE 18volt EMG BQS 3-BAND EQ PREAMP it has the same 5 knobs that you have it's a volume knob, a blend knob, a Bass boost/cut, a stacked mid boost/cut with mid freq select on the bottom, and a treble boost/cut knob,and the 40DC pickups have a good growl sound like a Fender, you want to sound like Zeppelin, roll the blend knob to the NECK pickup crank the vol ,turn the Bass knob little more than 1/2 way, put the mid freq low mid like a fender, the mid boost up to half way should cut through plenty and for Zep the treble on the smoother muffled side and you have an AWESOME MODERN BASS that sounds like Zep, and remember with active EMG pickups you don't need a ground wire to the bridge because they are totally silent and grouded them selves,ACTIVE EMG 40DC HUMBUCKERS ARE SMOOTH, WARM AND PUNCHY MOSTLY WHEN YOU PUT THE BLEND KNOB MORE TOWARDS THE NECK PICKUP,trust me you will be very happy and you get to keep your awesome SR Bass, also play finger style at the neck pickup area for fat warm sound like Zep, one more thing to save battery life unplug your Bass guitar when not using, it's active and turns on right when you plug it in, my battery's last me like 6 months and I play every day, not bad for an active Bass to only change battery's twice a year, KEEP ON ROCKIN!!
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015