Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pickup for volume with clarity?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Pmon, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Pmon

Pmon

Jun 9, 2004
    hello chaps

am currently using a realist (i know, i know) and I tour with a big band (all theatre dates) I use a 500 watt head with a 4x10 extension and fishman pro eq.

Now here's the deal. Which pickup do I get that gives me clarity at high voulumes? i've read about the schertler stat and the underwood. I'm prepared to sacrifice a little of the acoustic sound for more definition and clarity.

any clues?

all the best

2. I play with a 16 piece big band. The K&K Bass Max works for me. Clean, fat sound, hot signal, lots of volume before feedback. Inexpensive too.

3. Pmon

Pmon

Jun 9, 2004
    does charlie haden still uses the stat?

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wilson pickup. Lots of volume and clarity. Blend in just a
    little mic, and you (might) have it all. Killer tone and volume.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Last time I saw Charlie, he turned his amp off in the middle of the first tune.

PEEMAN - you haven't given much information in your PROFILE, so forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir. One of the things that many new or young players kind of forget is that the beginning of the signal chain is not the pick up, it's those things on the end of your arms. The only way to get a clear, focused, projecting sound out of the amplifier is to get one out of the bass before it goes into the amplifier.

I have a Realist and it's been fine in just about every playing situation I've been in, duo to big band. Many people who use the Realist do say that it can also amplify unwanted resonance from the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece, so they put some kind of damping material (most often a towel or cloth woven between the strings). I would also suggest getting away from a 4 - 10 cabinet and actually going smaller, a single 12 or a 2-10 cabinet. My rig of a Walter Woods LoPower (120 watts onto 8 ohms) and a Polytone 12" cabinet loaded with a JBL speaker has been all I've needed for gigs with a 19 piece big band in medium size (600 - 900 seats) halls.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Realist can sound great, and can also sound not too good on different basses. A pickup like the Underwood sounds pretty similar on most basses. I think probably your best bet if the Realist isn't working for you would be to go with the Stat. It has been one of the only pickups that has sounded really natural to me when played at loud volumes. It has a really clear and focused tone.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Don't be in such a hurry to catch a snit, you seem to have glossed over the whole "you haven't given much information in your PROFILE, so forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir" part. All I know is that you're 23 and have a gig with a big band. I DON'T know if it's the first gig you've gotten after buying a bass yesterday at 4:30 or you're just doing this between tours with Freddie.

Chill.

8. Pmon

Pmon

Jun 9, 2004
    ok. sorry ed

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Schertler Stat-B gives me the loudest/clearest/most accurate tone I've gotten from my bass (New Standard Cleveland). The fact that it's not a piezo means no honky mids or compressed, nasal tone. It's cool, though, I've been able to play unamplified at most of my rehearsals and small gigs these days and it's really helped me to project a full, clear sound without playing too hard.