1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which pickup set with Sadowsky Pre for Marcus Tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassistForJesus, Oct 8, 2013.

1. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    Folks,

I have a really nice 4 string fender and want to upgrade pickups with Sad Pre for that Marcus Tone.

I have no preference between single coils and hum canceling.

Based on TalkBass and YouTube videos I'm leaning to the following in order:

1. Nordstrand N4JSV or NJ4
    2. Sadowsky JJ
    3. Dimarzio Ultra J
    4. Delano JMVC

2. My vote would be the Nordy NJ4 on that list, or the Fender Antiquity pickups

3. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    From your experience is there a big difference between the nordy nj4 and the nj4sv? Reviews show that Carey worked his magic and the nj4sv is identical to the nj4 without the hum.

4. You don't want hum canceling. Consider singles on the grinder side. Once paired with the pre, the buffering will take some of the edge off. Carey winds pickups for sad so the difference between nj4's and and the sads may be a wash.

If you use anyone's 70's wind sets, be prepared for more glass/clank with a pre as they have less turns. For that same reason stay clear of fenders cs60 set.

5. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    Is there anys pickups on the list that I should avoid?

6. it depends on how much of a purist you are. what bass are you putting these guts into?

7. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
  8. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    Bass is a passive Fender Select Prototype. Alder body/rosewood fingerboard. Not a purist at all.

9. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    Thanks FunkyMan

10. well since youre not going to get a marcus tone out of that bass you might as well put in whatever you want. all of the electronics packages have their pros and cons.

11. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    I'm assuming your stating that because of the bass not being ash and pickup placement in 60s position instead of 70s?