Which PickUp to choose? (Jamerson Sound)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JonesJones, Mar 22, 2014.

1. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    If OP is looking for Jamerson sound, Jamerson didn't use Geezer pups and didn't play War Pigs. Just sayin' ... :bag:

2. I honestly think that you can get pretty close to Jamerson Sound with a Good P bass, a tone knob, Flats, and a foam mute under the strings by the bridge. I think any of these pups can get u there if you know how to cop a Jamerson feel and can get as funky and syncopated with 2 fingers as James did with one. That said, thanks for the clips Jimmy! Very cool man!

3. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    +1 ^^^ All it requires is a good p bass and Jamerson's fingers (skills) ^^^

I will listen to your clips Jimmy, no disrespect intended, but it may not require new pups, just new "fingers"

The only issue I see with the Geezer pups are that you may be making a bass more of a one tone wonder, and limit its capabilities. As always, I could be wrong. Just haven't had the opportunity to listen to the clips yet. BTW, thanks for posting the clips, I am interested in checking them out ...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Oh, you certainly won't hear any argument from me that it's all about the hands. The pickups don't play themselves. But sometimes people get basses with pickups that suck. I did. It got better with one replacement and got even better with this new replacement.

And don't mistake these pickups having Geezer's name on them for some metal out of control distorto pickups. They're very much in the vintage Fender realm and they have about as much output as a typical vintage style Fender pickup, not hot output. They used the pickup in one of Bobby Vega's early 60's Precisions as the model. I've had almost a month with it and done a lot of gigs with a lot of different types of songs, and it's as versatile as your fingers.

5. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Sounds good to me.

6. jaypee

jaypee

Apr 24, 2009
    I absolutely agree with the stated comments about Jamerson not using Geezer Butler's and that it is all in the fingers...well....cause that's the truth!

My thang is that I am just an incurable tone chaser and am really grateful for Jimmy's outstanding soundclips as a great comparo for tone chasing purposes.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If any of my upcoming builds happens to use a P pickup I might give them a shot. But then again I have a pretty good relationship with Rio Grande and their Muy Grande P pickups are the best I have ever heard.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's cool. Never tried them but I'm sure they're terrific.

9. JonesJones

JonesJones Inactive

May 14, 2011
    Well, agree with all about sound from hands things and alike.

I started this thread not to become James Jamerson, another of him nor copy him. No one will ever maybe.
    My 70 Fender Precision PUP is dead and I have to buy it's replacement. I don't know much about PUP so I ask it here.

The "Jamerson Sound" title is only the way I try to describe something that hard for me to describe like sound.

Anyway Big Thank you for Jimmy M who helps me a lot in this, I really like the PUP he recommends from what he describes it and his marvelous comparison demo.

Thanks again JimmyM

10. JonesJones

JonesJones Inactive

May 14, 2011
    BTW Jimmy (and all) since we're here

My friend offers me his used d'Marzio P PickUp (White).

I have decide to buy EMG GZR, but I'd like to know if maybe you know about that marzio PU and would you like to tell me about that please.

TY

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Is it the Model P? I hated them when they first came out, but now I actually like them and have a parts bass with a set of Model PJ's still on it, but they're a good bit hotter and don't have as big a high end response as vintage-style pickups like the Geezer and the Fenders you were looking at. If I could only pick one, I'd go with the vintage-style pickups, but the Model P is a unique pickup that's earned its place in bass history.

12. Resurrecting an old thread ... like @JimmyM, I didn’t quite like the tone produced by the Fender Original pickups .. definitely too highs-focused.
    However I found that of the old CS ‘62 pickups very interesting; GZR, in comparison, seem to be a little more powerful and grittier .. both of them, in my opinion, remarkably share a common vintage DNA.
    Choosing amongst them seems to be a matter of personal taste.
    Thanks @JimmyM for sharing his samples on the Fender Original :bassist:

JimmyM likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, they're not far off of each other. The old 62 CS is an excellent pickup, too. Still have it, but not installed. Sounds to me a lot like the Duncan SPB-1. It just doesn't quite have that edginess of the Geezer that I've come to rely on. I can tame it down when needed but I can't add it if it's not there. Definitely two different flavors of excellent Fender tones, though.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021