Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pickup would be better for this tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Ok, I'm going to get an SX P-bass soon, and I'm looking into getting it a Seymour Duncan pickup to replace the stock one. I've narrowed it down to the SBP-2 or the Quarter Pounder. What I'm looking for is high output, with fat lows, punchy mids and clear highs. I don't know which will give me this tone better, since I have only tried out the Quarter Pounder is a Mark Hoppus P-Bass.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Quarter Pounder is a great choice. Steve Harris from Iron Maiden uses on on his signature bass. I also own an SX P bass, and once I put the QP on it, it was awesome. Lots of bass and low mids. Highs are there, but not razor sharp highs, just nice highs. The word I would use to describe the sound is aggressive. I use flatwounds on my bass, so you may get different results. Works great for many styles of music.

3. aggeresive is really what I am looking for, since I maybe using this for all the hard rock and metal stuff, when my Jazz just doesn't cut through. Thanks for the input! :)

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Quarter pounder would be an excellent choice. I know of many players that pull their Fender pups and put in quarter pounders. It is a great pickup.

BTW, I buy my Duncan pickups from Black Rose Customs. I don't know if it is just his policy or a Duncan policy, but if you don't like the pup, you can swap it for another one of their pups if you return it within some number of days.