Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pickup you like to play?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hookha, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    my first teacher tell my to play on the second pickup (near the brigde)
    i quit him becuse he sucks..
    and my new teacher told my to play on the first pickup (close to the neck)

so which pickup you play?
    neck or bridge?

or i shold to practice on both?

the brigde pickup is comfortable for me
    the neck less...maybe because i usul to the bridge pickup

I well be happy to read your opinions

tHaNkS!!!

2. funkifried

funkifried

Nov 14, 2005
    It really depends on whether you need a rounder tone or one that has a bit more bite. The sound is rounder over the neck pickup and thinner over the bridge.

Switch between the positions and listen to the difference, you'll see what I mean.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do you mean where you pick or which pickup do you have on the most? I usually have both pickups on full, sometimes I run the neck by itself for a fatter tone. I usually pick by the bridge, but when I use a pick it's over the neck PU, and I will pick by the neck PU with my fingers to get a fatter tone now and then. But mostly I'm by the bridge because I can play louder without clanking the strings into the pickups.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Interesting. Did you ask either instructor why? I assume you're paying them so don't be afraid to ask questions no more how stupid they may seem. Get your money's worth.

Most players play whatever it takes to get the tone they want to fit the music. That obviously is going to vary.

If you're just practicing playing solo (not to music) then you may want to set the bass to get a less appealing tone that's brighter/clearer so it will accent your mistakes.

At any rate, you want playing to be enjoyable so you're inclined to play more so whatever it takes to encourage that is a logical path to follow.

5. ravlin

ravlin

Oct 12, 2004
    i like to play in between the two, it is a good combination of bite and low end smoothness. i just got a $3 thumb rest and put it inbetween my jazz pickups. i may move back and forth depending on the sound i am going for, but it is in the middle where i feel the most comfortable

6. I mostly rest my thumb on the neck pup and roll off a bit of its volume.