Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pickups are closest sound to DiMarzio J, but for fiver?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nemo, Jun 15, 2005.

1. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Title says it all.
    I have DM Model J's on my four string JB and love them. Recently I scored nice fiver but with POS pups and I want to replace them. Unfortunately DiMarzio does not produce Model J for 5 string!! DM Ultras seems to me thin and mid shy in comparison.
    Is there similar sounding pickup for fiver?
    Dimensions are 3.73" bridge and 3.60" neck, 19 mm spacing.
    Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, options are limited on 5 string J's.
    I'd have to say I can't think of an equivalent 5 string J that will fit the routes you say, and sound like the Model J. And I've tried pretty much every 5 J set there is.

3. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Nordstrands...they'll fit.

David, your amp's on its way to you!

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    AFAIK, none of Carey's 5-string Jazz pickups are hum-cancelling in the same manner as the Model J (side-by-side coils). Actually, I think he only offers single-coils in this form factor. At one point, he mentioned he was looking into the possibility of making a 5-string version of his NJ4SE, which would be similar in design to the Model J, but don't know if he ever went ahead with this.

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Just call him! He's at 909-790-2548. I know he's making a stacked jazz version...the SE format isn't possible because of the size of the pickup cover, so, you'll have to settle for the stacked version, or pray to fit 5 pounds where 3 will fit! :D

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ... and if you do end up calling, ask him about the 5-string version of the SE... although the size of the pickup cover may be a challenge, somehow the folks at DiMarzio (and Barden, and Bartolini although I think they use slanted "blades") fit the coils side-by-side (3 +2) inside a 5-string Jazz cover, so I'm sure Carey could figure somethin' out too! :D Seriously, I'd love to see a 5-string version of the Model J myself, and would love to try a Nordstrand version.

EDIT: Actually... I seem to recall something about the UltraJazz 5s having a somewhat strange configuration (something about a "supplemental" magnet beneath the poles. maybe?). I personally love the sound of the UltraJazz in my '71 Jazz (with OBP-1), and the UJ5 is supposed to be very similar... though not identical.

FWIW: I spoke with DiMarzio tech support a few months ago about the UJ5s, they said that although it comes standard with 2-conductor wiring, it could be special-ordered with 4-conductor wiring like the Model Js... which would be useful if you wanted to do anything like switching an individual between series and parallel.

7. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Thx for replies.
    I know about Nordstrands, probably too pricey for me. Maybe I will check these Ultras or even Sads HC - they should have tad more mids.
    I plan to use OBP-3 with them. Is the UJ+Aguilar good combo mgmadian?

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Stellar combination. Keep in mind though that mine is the OBP-1... tho I'm sure the OBP-3 would also sound great with the UJs.

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    You may want the OBP3 if you feel the UJ's lack mids (they do a bit).