1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which pickups do you prefer??? (P Bass)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DBTOYS, Sep 27, 2009.

1. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    Thinking of getting new pickups and would like to hear what
    experience you all have had in doing so.

I have always used the std pickups in the past!:bassist:

2. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    I like EMG P pickups, Duncan QPs as a close second.

3. Twincam

Twincam

Jul 11, 2009
    Seymour Duncan "Hot for P".

4. I have used DiMarzios, Seymour Duncan 1/4 LBers, and EMG (Active). I prefer the 1/4 LBers for a hot rodded P-Bass tone. DiMarzio's 2nd and EMG last.
    The EMG's had a very scooped sound to them. Lots of low end and crisp highs but no midrange what so ever. Very un-P Bass like.

5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Rio Grande Vintage P. Sounds great not too expensive.

6. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    would you all go with a matched pair or would you mix for tone control

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    When I had my P, I had a Nordstrand NP4. It sounded slick.

8. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    The only replacement Precision pickup that I have experience with is the Seymour Duncan QP. There are a lot of people that like it, and it is a good pickup, but it didn't quite live up to the hype. It was definitely an improvement over the stock pickup in my Squier Affinity Precision but I wouldn't bother putting on in my Squier Vintage Modified Precision. That stock pickup sounds pretty good.

I am going to be putting together a parts Precision bass (Dan Atkinson is doing the body and neck work so I'm very excited about it) and am still undecided on which pickup I will use. I would love to try one of the Delano Precision pups. The Nordstrand NP4 also is held in high regard. There was recently a thread about custom pickups and a few skilled individuals that will make one according to what the customer was after. It's a tough choice so I will also be checking in on this thread to see what people are saying.

9. Curtis Novak PB-V wound to my specs.:D

10. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I have a Novak pickup in my Nash '57 P.
    works better for me than the Lollar I put there to replace the Dimarzio ceramic pup she came with.

the pup on my old 62' reissue also smokes, I guess its the stock pup.