Which pickups do you use on your RIC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    For those of you with a RIC, I'm curious how you use it regarding the volume and tone controls, and which pickup(s). I tend to always do the same thing, and in my case I always have the volumes and tones full up, using both pickups (selector in the middle on my 4003). I feel like this gives me the punchiest, loudest tone you can get out of it, plus I like my tone to be consistent, and I don't like having to remember exactly where I had each knob set. A really long time ago I had a 4001, and I always used just the neck pickup. Now, looking back, I can't see how I could have possibly liked that. Maybe the pickups were hotter on the 4001's(?).

Anyway - I'd like to know how others use their RIC.

Thanks - Skel.
  2. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    I have a 4001, but the .0047 capacitor has been removed from the bridge pup, so that gives my 4001 basically the same electronics as your 4003.

I used to set the knobs just like you are saying, but recently I've been getting a better sound (I think) by backing off the tone controls about 25-30%. I keep the volumes about half, but (thankfully) with the Rickenbackers the volumes pots are just that, volume controls and don't seem to have any effect on the tone.
  3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    You'll find that if both of your volumes are at full, your sound will be a little choked (something in the circuitry). Back one of your volumes (in my case the bass p/u volume) off just a little bit & you should notice a difference...
  4. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    This effect is described here (in regards to a Gibson, but the wiring is the same):
  5. Bridge pickup full.

Neck pickup 1/2 -2/3

= Cygnus X-1
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  6. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA

What he said....
  7. RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Absolutely completely agreed. My I don't mess with the volume and tone knobs so much, though rolling off one or the other slightly can make some really awesome sounds. Mostly, I just flip the toggle switch and move my hand closer to the neck or closer to the bridge. Best tones for me are:

1)Bridge full, Neck full, toggle both, play right in between the pickups

2)same as above, play right over the edge of the bridge pickup surround, on the side closer to the pickguard

3)same as above, play right up against the neck

4)Neck full, toggle neck, play right behind the neck pickup

5)Bridge full, toggle bridge, play directly over the bridge pickup
  8. Always:

Bridge pickup full

Neck pickup 1/3..

I keep the selector in the middle, and just dial in a little neck pickup for some added girth.. this gives me a nice, edgy attack with just enough low-end girth.. too much neck pup sounds muddy to my ears.

Oh, and I generally pick just on the bridge side of the bridge pickup..
  9. I like my tones on full, both pickups selected.Neck pickup at about 90-95%.Bridge pickup on full.If you wanna here some great bridge pickup stuff check out Spock's Beard. Dave Meros' tone is incredible.
  10. I'm going to just come out and say it:
    This is the best damn bass tone EVER.:bassist: