Which pickups does Sadowsky use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I must be blind since I can't find any indication of what pickups Roger put on his vintage style basses. Are they Seymour Duncan's, Lindy Fralin's or something special that somebody makes up for him. Thanks!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Quoted from http://www.sadowsky.com/basses.html

So obviously Sadowsky PUs and circuits unless specified (e.g. EMGs).
    But I don't know if they're manufactured in-house or not (I think they out-source).
    Perhaps send an email to Roger and ask him.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW, Alex Aguilar designed the Sadowsky outboard preamp. I don't know what the relationship is these days.
  4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
  5. Roger winds his own pickups, and also is well known for remagnetising and restoring vintage Fender pickups.
  6. I have a set of Sadowsky single coil pickups on my new semi 'homemade' five string.

I have never seen a pickup so well made (but Sadowsky pays a great deal of attention to build quality).

I was under the impression that they were outsourced...wound to Rogers specs. But to be honest, I have never asked.

And it doesn't realy matter. They are excellent pups.
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for all the great replies. You guys are super.
  8. To my knowledge Sadowsky designs his pickups and sends the specs out to have them made in larger quantities. I believe he predominantly has Dimarzio wind his pickups but he also works with Basslines & EMG. He may work with others too.

The pickups in my Sadowsky jazz are great.

Dare I mention in this bass forum that I also have two Sadowsky guitars. I really enjoy the Sadowsky-designed HSH pickup combo: incredible tone, punch, harmonics, and sustain. I had Roger put a set of Kinman pickups in my Sadowsky vintage style strat. A good move indeed!
  9. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I would like to clarify the discussion about the various pickups I use in my basses.

My bass pickups are all custom made to my specifications by DiMarzio, Basslines and EMG. I no longer do any business with Bartolini. I have wonderful relationships with Steve Blucher at Dimarzio, Kevin Beller at Basslines, and Rob Turner at EMG. Over the years they have been wonderful in regard to making my custom pickups that give me the Sadowsky sound.

Whenever possible, I prefer passive, humcancelling pickups. Our default pickup for the J-bass 4 string and 5-string is our humcancelling design. Single coils are available as an option. The P-J 4 and 5 set are also passive and humcancelling. The soapbar pickups in the 24 fret 5 string are custom EMG's or Basslines. They are both active. I have yet to develop a passive soapbar for this model that I am happy with. I am getting two new prototypes from Kevin Beller at Basslines soon.

The new Ultra-Vintage J-bass that I will be releasing later this month will have single coils as the default pickup.

Roger Sadowsky
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It is SOOO refreshing to see a big, well know luthier post on a board. It's very informative & cuts rumors before thay start. I wish more builders would follow in your footsteps.

It's also nice because it makes you more real. You're a person, not just a name on an instrument.

Thank you.
  11. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Well. How cool is that? Sorry for passing along erroneous info. Either way, when installed in one of Roger's phenomenal basses, they're worth their weight in gold.

I just hope he runs a search on "Sadowsky" every once in a while to clear up misperceptions, and isn't forming opinions about us based on our insightful comments on body piercing and favorite critters. ;)