Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pickups for a custom 6-string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by muthagoose, Mar 13, 2004.

1. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm getting a custom 6-string soon, but I have no idea what kind of pickups to purchase for it... I know next to nothing about pickups, and it would be great if you guys could help me out :)

I'm looking for an all-round sound, that doesn't limit me to any specific genre, but I guess I'll be playing mostly metal-ish music.

The body of the bass is made out of Bubinga and the neck is made out of Wenge and the fretboard is made out of Pau Ferro.

I talked to a guy at a music store in town and he recommended some typ of humbucker from EMG or Bartolini, but I've read that humbuckers are mainly for the low end and not so good for the higher tones. My friend also told me that there are humbuckers that you can "split" and switch back and forth between single-coil and humbucker to be able to get a varied sound out of your bass. As you've probably noticed, I'm confused :/

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    A humbucker (basically two single coils wired together) with a series/split/parallel toggle switch will give you a few different tones to play with. In general, the series mode will sound pretty fat, the split mode will sound like a single coil, and parallel will sound more "scooped" and have more treble presence than the series mode (think StingRay.)

If you do decide to go with humbuckers for that reason, make sure the model you choose has 4-conductor wiring so that all this can be done. If it just has 2 conductors, you'll get just that one mode the manufacturer chose for that particular model.