Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pickups? Opinions please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Elliot Smith, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    hi, i have a Seymour duncan hot stack jazz in my aerodyne bass bridge position. Its great but i want it to be even better so i am looking to change my neck position pickup. But i am stuck between these two:

Spb2 hot
    Spb3 quarter pounder

I use the tone wizard in seymour website... the result is spb2 hot with hot stack jazz. But i've hear great things about the quarter pounder... so which should i choose? I play alot of Velvet revolver and GNR stuff... so i am looking for Duff's Mckagan fat, thick and growly tone.

I've post a thread like this before but the response was not great. So guys... please advice me.... before i make my purchase.

Thanks alot

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've never tried a Quarter Pounder, but I recently got the Hot for P-bass, and I'm very happy with it so far. I posted a review on Harmony-Central, which is the second one down on this page:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data2/new.html

I don't think you'll go wrong with either pickup, and I think it depends on whether you want a more vintage tone with high output (Hot for P-bass) or a more modern tone (QP). On a P/J bass like the Aerodyne, I would think you'd get some of the extended high end and growl from the J pickup, so the QP wouldn't be necessary. (In fact, the Charvel San Dimas bass -- definitely designed for hard rockers -- comes with the Hot for P-bass in its P/J configuration.)

Then you'd have a vintage P-bass tone on tap if you wanted it. That's probably what you have already with the stock pickup, but the Hot for P-bass will have more output. I think Duff uses more vintage type pickups, so this will probably be close to his tone. (Who knows though. He probably has custom p'ups.)

But if you want maximum aggression and cut, go with the QP.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The QP puts out alot of low freqs. So much that I set my Jazz 24 to negative boost to get the definition I want.