1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flakeh, Aug 29, 2007.

1. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Im making a new bass soon, And I'm stuck choices.

I can do either 2 humbucker style pickups (EMG-hz's) Or have 2 p style pickups (EMG select pbass)

I'm stuck on this. Two P's would have a nice warm sound, But two soapbars would have its advantages. Please help me out here guys!:help:

BTW The local shop only has emg pickups, And they have em for cheap. 60$ each.

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    What's it going into Flakeh? I'm having crazy 80's bass GAS at the moment so I'd go with two P's, with white or creme covers. :D

3. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    An alder/mahogony Explorer Clone.

:hyper: :hyper:

edit* its from the 80's!

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    It's CRYING OUT for two P's!!! Do it, do it. :)

5. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You sure?

Two P's would cost me a helluva lot less then two soapbars....eeeeek tough choice.

BTW roon you get your svt3 yet?

6. 2 Ps.

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Yup, came on Tuesday. :D It weighs a ton and sounds HUGE too! The 410 is really nice too. I'll take some pics and tell you about it tomorrow on MSN, I'm gonna go to bed now. :)

Peace!

8. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So, everyone pretty much seconds the notion of two P's then?

Nighty night roon

9. well two of us....

what sound do you really want?

10. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Deep, Powerful, Warm. Kinda a mix of a pbass tone and a Gibson Thunderbird/Explorer tone.

11. Why the heck are you getting hzs? They are crap they have nothing on active emgs. If you want a passive pickup get Duncans.

12. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I second that. The HZ's don't sound all that great. I'd rather get passive Basslines soapbars. They are nice and bright. How is $60 cheap for EMGs? You will get better selection buying on line.

If you use the P's, install them backwards from the way Fender does it, i.e., put the coil for the treble strings closer to the neck, and the bass strings closer to the bridge. They sound far more balanced that way. You don't get thin top strings and boomy bottom strings.

I have a bass with two P's. They sound good at the bridge, but it's a different tone from a J at the bridge. it's smoother.