Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lance Jaegan, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    I'm gathering parts for a bass I'm going to make, and I'm wondering what pickups I should get.

4-string
    Neck-thru maple neck with ebony fingerboard (fretted)
    Maple body
    Brass string-thru body bridge (sustain!)

As you can see, I'm getting a bass with lots of harmonic content and sustain, but still a very present fundamental (due to neck-thru).
    I was wondering what pickups you guys would put on this kind of bass to achieve that sort of tone. Also, would you go active or passive? I was thinking about Bartolini J's, but I don't know.

2. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    for sustain and harmonic, u better get a active pickups
    but with that hard woods all over the bass, u might want to get a dual coil or humbuckers. so you wont get the treble blows your amps

1.EMG
    2.BART
    3.BASSLINES

3. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    Yea, it looks like I'm gonna have to go active. Thanks for the input.

4. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    I suggest going with a passive pick up and getting an active pre-amp, this way you cut or boost what you want not just the over all signal. AERO instument makes custom pick ups and they have wooden covers and they sound great for harmonics. Also Seymor Duncan makes some cool pick ups if you want to spend the money.