Which piece of equipment has been most inspiring to you?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PJeong, Jul 24, 2021.

1. PJeong

PJeong

Jul 13, 2021
    England
    It is commonplace to think that musical equipment, whether it is a new and better instrument or an effects pedal, is simply a means to an end, a vehicle for giving expression to a pre-formed musical idea. On this view, inspiration precedes technological innovation. But this is not always the case: sometimes, a certain sound which can only be achieved with a distinctive effect, like a synthesiser pedal or a whammy bar, can be inspiring of itself and can be the very germination of a musical idea. What is the piece of gear that has brought the most musical inspiration?

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Metronome.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Holland, MI
    TI Jazz Flats inspire me to practice more.

As far as a pedal, probably the Shift Line Olympic. Headphone amp plus line in means I can play all night if I want.

4. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Chase Bliss Mood. It’s a mini collaborator. Bonkers and beautiful

5. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Radio

Crispus, Bunk McNulty and bobba66 like this.
  6. beatmachine pro

beatmachine pro

Jun 13, 2021
    yea i definatly couldnt get my tone without my gear ..
    bass, strings, head and speaker

the lowest note in the universe comes from The Perseus clusters black hole'
    its B-flat is 57 octaves below middle C
    one million, billion times lower than the lowest sound audible to the human ear!

i have the second lowest note

foal30 likes this.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Interesting question. In my role in live sound, I would say the Soundcraft U-24 has really changed my approach.

As a bass player, I find that certain instruments inspire me to find new ways to connect the dots.

I'm not sure that I find any pedals or amps to be inspiring. I want them to do their thing and be reliable and stable.

31HZ and 75Ric like this.
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Still blowing my mind...

stick1-jpg.jpg

JRA, RumbleBot, StereoPlayer and 10 others like this.
  9. The Source Audio C4 Synth has been an inspiration and long time dream come true for me. I have long been interested and active in electronic music but always wanted to be able to access that potential from my bass. Every time a new system came out, even when they were far beyond my means, I tried them out only to be disappointed ultimately. The C4 changes that in so many ways, it offers a virtual synthesizer with full functions that normally were only available to keyboardists with extensive EuroRack style or full modular synths that responds to my every nuance on my instrument including pitch bends, trills, slides and intentional glitches with out need for modification or special pickup but by simply plugging my bass in at the price of an effect pedal. Add to that the Neuro App, the interaction of the company and the users and it is priceless and a constant inspiration.

JRA, Hummergeist, TrevorG and 6 others like this.
  10. Fitz

Fitz

Oct 20, 2009
    A foam string mute. When I hear the notes die out that quickly, and with a set of flats, I play very differently and do things that are conducive to that sound, which is generally funky and melodic and just kinda cool.

11. My Markbass LM800 amp without a doubt. 10 years and it still inspires me every time I turn it on.

TrevorG and spvmhc like this.
  12. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014

Hard to say. Why limit oneself? :) Tie it all in, perhaps by saying something sonorous — like a good bass, for instance; a good kit; a jazz box; a well rested, tuneful voice; clicking car tires on a concrete-slab, depression era roadway; hefty, unstable rocks, under a towering cliff, on a rock-strewn, ever-changing coastline (rhythm rocks). Anything (pedal-wise or otherwise) that plays nice :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Rich Fiscus and JimmyM like this.
  13. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Pretty much all of it, but I regularly seek out new pedals, or new pedal uses.

But that's because I usually can't aford a new bass or amp. :laugh:

Fuzzbass and Jefenator like this.
  14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    I have two.
    my USA Spector build
    upload_2021-7-24_15-13-24.png

And a Berg B|Amp
    upload_2021-7-24_15-14-39.png

Indiana Mike, TrevorG, 75Ric and 2 others like this.
  15. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Keeping in mind that this was posted in the effects forum, I'll talk about two pedals that have been very inspirational to me, rather than amps or basses.

First is my Boss RC-10R looper, with drums. Looping, even just simple "pick a rhythm, lay down a bass line, then work on soloing over it," has really helped my playing, and has been very fulfilling.

Second, the Zoom MS60B. It's an inexpensive multi-effect, but it gave (and still gives) me a way to experiment with so many different sounds and types of effects, without having to buy a bunch of individual pedals. It doesn't have the best tones for all effects, but I do really like its compressors, delays, and reverbs, and the rest are at the very least good enough to experiment with.

16. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I'd properly have to say my computer, opened up a whole new world of music production possibilities as I learned how to record, mix and not least program music properly on it.

Otherwise it would be my beloved 28,6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, which currently got just a single EMG Geezer Butler P pickup installed in it, wired directly to the output jack socket, and tuned to F# standard tuning, as in 2 half steps above regular 4 string E standard tuning, being strung accordingly with D'Addario XL gauge .090 - .072 - .054 - .040 strings.

Here's the latest photo of my Mikro Bass:
    1-A-A-Ibanez-Mirko-Visual-Mod-250521.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  17. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    The original (circa 1980) Electro-Harmonix 16-Second Digital Delay ...because it was the first looping delay (and still one of the few) that is in "always listen" mode. Rather than say to yourself "I'm going to start looping something NOW" and stepping on a footswitch and praying that the thing you then play is musically interesting and worth looping, with the E-H 16secDDL you can say "Hey, I just played something musically interesting and worth looping...I'm gonna loop it!" and then you step on the footswitch. It's an entirely different paradigm to incorporating loops into the musical fabric, and has been especially valuable and inspirational to the music I've made since I got one 30-something years ago.

18. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

Yeah, I was going to say an IE Nimbus because I love reverb on bass, but after thinking I'd say the following (not in order):

Metronome
    Beat Buddy
    Aeros Loop station
    Anytune (for slowing down tunes, looping parts, and shifting the key of the tune).

The loop station is pretty good because I can lay down a bass line to something like a jazz tune, than try to play the melody over my bass line. Usually it ends up showing me that Im rushing or dragging which sucks but oh well...These days I only play for me.

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    My tuner.

JRA, SemiDriven, DeepHz and 3 others like this.
  20. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    A tie...the OC-2 my dad gave me as a teen and the folding amp stand that angles the cab :)

JRA, DC in ATX and Raoul_Duke like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021