Which PLX for my Acmes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockindoc, Mar 16, 2003.

1. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    1) I'm leaning toward the PLX 3402 so I can run 700W/channel into each 8 ohm Acme LowB2. The 3402 would also give me the option of running both LowB2s off one channel and an EAVL210 off the other, if/when I need the extra volume. If I get the 3402, I've got all the power I need in one box. And the THD is low running stereo, if this matters much.

2) The 1602 gives me 1600W bridged into 4ohms (800W per Acme). Plenty! For less $$$. But I'll have to carry my WT800 along if I need to add the EAVL210 :( . And the THD is higher when bridged.

I'll be using an Alembic F1-X preamp.

So, two questions: Does the PLX 3402 need the "Q-mod" to be driven by the F1-X, whereas the PLX 1602 DOESN'T need the Q-mod? I've searched and found different opinions. And second, should the THD (higher when bridging the 1602, lower when running the 3402 stereo) influence my choice between the two amps? Thanks in advance.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Either amp will be crystal clear enough...don't worry about THD figures...

I would seek and trust the opinion of Fat Willie, aka Lord Valve on the pairing of F1-X and PLX amps. He'd know for sure and would give you the straight story.

I have used my PLX 2402 with a 4 ohm B2 on one channel and an 8 ohm EVM 15B in a TL606 on the other.

The Acme, getting about 725 watts, was buried in volume by the 15 (which was getting much less). The B2's woofers were banging against the grille and it simply wasn't loud enough...and I was playing a 4 string at the time. I probably had the filter set at 30 Hz (or it might have been on 50 Hz...don't remember for sure).

I was in a too loud classic rock/alternative band competing with a Marshall 100 watt TSL 2x12 combo and a Line 6 Flextone II 2x12 combo. The drummer used V-drums and ran through the PA...I wasn't allowed too :meh:

After the Acme disaster, I started using my Goliath II and 1x15. It was easier to keep up with the silly guitarists. I always wore ear plugs...

Depending on your situation, 700 into an 8 ohm B2 might not be enough...there comes a point where they just won't get any louder no matter how much power you hit them with.

A friend uses an F1-X, Crown CE-2000 and two 4 ohm B2s. I don't recall what the Crown will provide into 4 ohms...probably in the 700 watt range.

Good luck!!!
  3. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
  4. I can peak out my PLX3002 with my F-1X no problem. Don't worry about it, they match up just fine.