Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Post-Beatles McCartney recodings do/did you own?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 17, 2004.

1. McCartney

38.9%
  2. RAM

33.3%
  3. Wild Life

22.2%
  4. Red Rose Speedway

22.2%
  5. Band on the Run

72.2%
  6. Venus and Mars

44.4%
  7. Wings over America

50.0%
  8. London Town

27.8%
  9. Back to the Egg

22.2%
  10. McCartney II

16.7%
  11. Tug of War

33.3%
  12. Pipes of Peace

33.3%
  13. Give my Regards to Broad Street

22.2%
  14. Press to Play

11.1%
  15. Back in the USSR

16.7%
  16. Flowers in the Dirt

27.8%
  17. Tripping the Live Fantastic/Highlights!

33.3%
  18. Off the Ground

11.1%
  19. Run Devil Run

11.1%
  20. Driving Rain

16.7%
  21. The Liverpool Oratorio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Standing Stone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Paul Is Live

5.6%
  24. Unplugged (The Official Bootleg)

5.6%
  25. Wings Greatest/All the Best/Wingspan

22.2%
  26. Back in the US/World

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just wondering , since we like McCartney so much, how familiar are we with his post Beatle output.

I've owned Wings' Wild Life, Band on the Run, Wings Greatest, All the Best, Back in the USSR, Flowers in the Dirt and Tripping the Live Fantastic - Highlights. Right now I only own the last two.

I've also heard Wingspan, which will probably be the next McCartney thing I'll get.

So, what have you got?

mod: added 6 more options

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    The only post Beatle McCartney material that I own is Tripping the Live Fantastic. My Brother was/is a big wings fan. He had most of thier records which I copied to tape many moons ago.

Sadly, when my wife and I moved to our curent house many of my old tapes were lost.

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yow, I never even got to finish the poll! You're quick, Farley!

I'm going to PM the mod to ask them to add more options, as I had to leave a lot of them out, so if you don't see a record you have listed, save your vote for later.

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado

It's that early morning browsing before the brunt of the workday starts and while the caffine buzz is still going that I tend to get the quick posts in. :D

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Man, I've been at work for two hours already and I'm one hour behind you! (Yes, I wake up at 4:00 am every day...)

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've got everything on the list except "Give My Regards To Broad Street", and I also have a 2CD set (sofar) that I made including many B-sides from many original 45s. These were often re-released as "bonus tracks" on CDs, but many of them were never released except on the original 45s. Also included are the 12" mixes of "Goodnight Tonight" and the six songs from the Kampuchea concert LP (only live recordings I know of from the "Back To The Egg" lineup which was disbanded after the Japan marijuana incedent). I also have a bunch of CD singles from Paul as well. I need to make the third CD of this stuff some time soon.

I also have the DTS CDs which were released a few years back of the original 70's Quadrophonic mixes of Band on the Run and Venus and Mars. If you have a DTS capable system (which I don't any more) these are a must own!

I've got lots of LaserDiscs and DVDs including a Japanese import LD of a McCartney TV special circa "Press to Play", "Movin' On" LD about making "Off The Ground", "Get Back" (which is the best McCartney concert video IMO), "Live in the New World",and the "Rupert and the Frog Song" 8" LD (very rare) . On DVD I have the "Flaming Pie" companion, "Back in the USA", and "Wingspan".

Many of the CDs I own are the DCC Gold audiophile quality discs. I've bought "Venus and Mars" four times. LP, CD, Audiophile CD, and DTS Quad CD. I've bought "Band on the Run" 5 times: LP, Audiophile CD, remastered Anniversary CD, DTS CD, and I even bought the UK "Collection" version simply to have a better sounding version of the delightful bonus track "Country Dreamer", which is one of my favorite McCartney songs of all time - my brother's 45 was pretty worn down.

I haven't "repeat bought" many others though.

Yeah, I'm a fan. :)

7. I'm a huge Beatles/Macca fan, but not a lot of the solo stuff excites me.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    None. Am I missing something?

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Give My Regards To Broad Street was my very first compact disc...
    my brother thought he was doing me a favour. ;)

As a Beatles' fan, I definitely wanted the FIRST solo release by each. IMO, Harrison's All Things Must Pass "won".

FWIW, I own 12 of the above albums.
    I have been wanting to pick up Ram for ages now.

10. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    What about "Flaming Pie"? I believe Steve Miller was even on that one. Sounded pretty good, too.

11. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    You missed one album and it is Working Classical........which have a great version of Pauls Maybe Im amazed.........the guitarr solo on this verison is played by Violins and it sounds great!!

I dont have Standig stone and Liverpool oratioro......but everyone else i have. And i havet to say that the best album for me is

Pauls first solo album Mccartney................if you have it you must love the picture inside the album with a "not shaved" Paul with his young daughter Mary in his Jacket..........that is a great pic of Paul.

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I forgot about the "classical" stuff. I have no interest.
    "Flaming Pie" is fantastic. One of his top 5 solo releases IMO. I'd put his best post-Beatles work as:

(1) Band On The Run - As good as a Beatles album.
    (2) Venus And Mars - Under-appreciated but brilliant follow-up to "Band". Quadrophonic version sounds amazing.
    (3) Flaming Pie
    (4) Flowers In The Dirt
    (5) Tug Of War

If you don't own anything post-Beatles by Paul, buy Band On The Run.

13. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    and the jailor man and sailor sam were searching everyone for

THE BAND ON THE RUN

14. Maybe someone can help me out here ;) ...

I'm looking for a song McCartney did for a movie which I can't remember the name of, all I remember is the song had a great clavinet groove (and I think with a horn section) in the style of Stevie Wonder, and a great vocal (obviously)....anyone have a clue what i'm talking about?

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The songs I know of that Paul did for movies other than his own are:

Live and Let Die
    Young Boy (Father's Day)
    Vanilla Sky
    Spies Like Us

You may be thinking of "Young Boy". It's a fantastic song.

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    your query yielded

0 results
    c:\>_

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Same for me - never bought any, never liked any I heard!!

As a teenager, I grew up being heartily sick of the Beatles and Sir Paul's solo output was like all the worst aspects of them!! :meh:

Nowadays, I appreciate a little more of the Beatles output - but nothing has convinced me of any merit in the solo stuff..

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The only song I really cared for was "Coming Up".