Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Pots for Vintage Jazz Sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by angelopb, Oct 25, 2004.

1. I have a passive 5-string Jazz style bass with SD Basslines single coil Jazz p/u. The bass seems much brighter than a vintage jazz bass. I heard changing the pots with different resistance values can give you a different roll off. I want to make mine to have a little more roll off in the highs, but maintain the midrange detail.

Also, I want to know what P-style pickup will fit for this and work with the rear single coil J- p/u to make a PJ. When this bass was built for me, I had Michael Dolan route out a cavity to install a P pickup when it was time. Still need a pickguard though. I have seen P pickups for 5-string PJ basses on Fender and Sadowskis. Don't know where to buy or part numbers.

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The Bill Lawrence P-46 pickup will work with a 5. I think he uses a different wiring when its made for a P/J pair so check into that if you buy one. I have one in a 5 string P bass and it works great.

About the pots - in passive basses standard pots are either 250k ohms or 500k ohms. 500k pots have more highs so you might want to check that. I have 500k pots and the bass is pretty bright although I sometimes need it when the mix gets dense. Sometimes it is a bit much though.

3. thanks. i'll check those pots out and that pickup. The split coils in a P must be out of phase with each other in order to "humbuck". I am thinking he wires them differently so the entire pickup is out of phase with the remaining J-pickup.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, he also winds them differently for a P/J set so that the outputs are more closely balanced.

5. So these Bill Lawrence pickups are good quality. They do not seem like that costs enough[kidding]

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, they're very good pickups. I have a P/J set in my Pedulla Rapture P/J 5 string.

They have very low overhead, they don't do any advertising that I know of.