Which Pots for Vintage Jazz Sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by angelopb, Oct 25, 2004.

1. I have a passive 5-string Jazz style bass with SD Basslines single coil Jazz p/u. The bass seems much brighter than a vintage jazz bass. I heard changing the pots with different resistance values can give you a different roll off. I want to make mine to have a little more roll off in the highs, but maintain the midrange detail.

Also, I want to know what P-style pickup will fit for this and work with the rear single coil J- p/u to make a PJ. When this bass was built for me, I had Michael Dolan route out a cavity to install a P pickup when it was time. Still need a pickguard though. I have seen P pickups for 5-string PJ basses on Fender and Sadowskis. Don't know where to buy or part numbers.

2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The Bill Lawrence P-46 pickup will work with a 5. I think he uses a different wiring when its made for a P/J pair so check into that if you buy one. I have one in a 5 string P bass and it works great.

About the pots - in passive basses standard pots are either 250k ohms or 500k ohms. 500k pots have more highs so you might want to check that. I have 500k pots and the bass is pretty bright although I sometimes need it when the mix gets dense. Sometimes it is a bit much though.

3. thanks. i'll check those pots out and that pickup. The split coils in a P must be out of phase with each other in order to "humbuck". I am thinking he wires them differently so the entire pickup is out of phase with the remaining J-pickup.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, he also winds them differently for a P/J set so that the outputs are more closely balanced.

5. So these Bill Lawrence pickups are good quality. They do not seem like that costs enough[kidding]

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, they're very good pickups. I have a P/J set in my Pedulla Rapture P/J 5 string.

They have very low overhead, they don't do any advertising that I know of.