Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Power Amp? QSC, Crown, Peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Vega, Sep 25, 2005.

1. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Hi all!!!

I am thinking to get a power amp for my Ampeg SVP-BSP Preamp. Something not heavy in weight, and dont break my budget :p

I was looking into QSC PLX1202, Peavey CS800 or higher. Crown look expensive, but anyone with feedback about this one please.

Which one of these are beter suited for instrument amplification?

What features I need to look into when I shopping these ?

The PLX1202 look good to me. What about the type and calss of the amp? A, B, AB,

which one is better for instrument amplification?

thanks!!

2. Class AB or D definitely. A is way to inefficient, I doubt you'll find anything out there besides AB or D. Class A is usually only in some high end hifi amps where weight is not an issue , and lower power output, heat dissipation, and efficiency aren't a problem. They're clean all right, but hot, heavy, and power hungry.

I'm using Crown K1, love it. Class D. Not sure which crown you're looking at.

Modern power amps are pretty much uncolored anymore. I pick by watts/pounds/price. How many watts do I need, then how much do I want to spend, what's the lightest amp I can get for that price.

Randy

3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The qsc olx series are great for bass and are very reliable.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You get my vote for the qsc plx series.

Although they are a bit more $$ than the RMX series qsc has, I think the weight reduction is a +.

-Rob

5. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I also hear they have advantages in the studio by generating less fan noise too. I believe thats what bob lee said. PLX's are the choice of many great studio's. From what Ive seen so far. Ive been in good ones too.

I imagine the new crown I-T's are great though. 8,000 watts in a 28lbs. unit? Madness. Much more expensive though.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you can afford it (and lift it!), the Crest CA9 is at or near the top of the heap, in my book. I bought one of my CA9's for under $500, which I thought was a good price (though admittedly twcie the price - and more than twice the power! - of the CS800).

Tom.

7. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Thats why the PLX's kick ass. Lots of power in a 21 lbs. box. Hard to beat. Plus they look really cool.

8. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks for the replies! I think the weight is a big +!!

well, well, PLX is on the move

I think that the 1202 is the one, what those post regarding the 30 or hz filter? on or off!!??

what are the advantages?

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you chose to go with a lower weight amp, I find the Stewart World series to sound a little better to my ears than the QSC PLX series (the Stewarts seem more full through the low end and more dynamic), but judging from the tales heard here on TB and elsewhere, the QSC's seem to be the more reliable of the two. Although I prefer to gig with my CA9's now, I did use a PLX 3002 for years, and it never let me down.

Tom.