1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which power amp would you use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lewislngvw, Apr 16, 2010.

1. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    ok...i have an outdoor gig tomorrow...translation....LOUD........i have an eden wtx-260 to push an avatar 112 neo.....that i like as a preamp also.......i have an avatar 212 neo also...i have two power amps to choose from....a peavey pv-900....or a crown xls-402....the 212 is a 4 ohm.....the peavey shows 300w @ 4 ohms.....the crown shows 450w@ 4ohms.....i know that looks obvious...but im just wondering on opinions about each amp...

2. flight120

flight120

Mar 10, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Have you tried both amps? My gut says go with the Crown, and not just based on the spec sheet.

3. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    are you only using the 212 or both cabs?

4. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    using both...the eden doing the 112 and poweramp doing 212

5. artiej

artiej

Nov 2, 2007
    Go with the Crown. I am actually looking at getting one myself. Musicians friend has them for $249. no tax and shipping....

6. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    i am also leaning towards the crown...its already mounted in my rack case.....just wanted other opinions...thx

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Whichever one weighs less.

8. I have to question the wisdom of playing a loud outdoor gig with only three 12s. You might well end up speakerless. Will you be having PA support or just going it alone?

Paul

9. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    when i say loud....i dont mean arena levels.....maybe 50-75 yards ......i have played with the crown at a football field and it was heard at both ends.....at only half level on the amp.....im not looking to buy new speakers.....this is outside on a a downtown square..so i could get some sound bouncing back off buildings......but yes i do have pa support if needed...just dont like going that route...