Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Oct 24, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    hey i was recently looking at getting a carvin DCM2000 but i've been giving it a second thought. I have been hearing alot of good things about QSC amps and i was wonderring if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with these or any other power amps. thanks!!

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The RMX series seem very comparable to the Carvin, and are about the same price. The decision there would probably be based on which one you could get a better deal on, or which you felt might have a better reputation for reliability, or if you could get an RMX locally (Carvin is mail-order only).

I was looking at these and ended up going with a QSC PLX, since they are so much lighter than the traditional amps, and hauling an 80+lb rack up stairs for a gig is a drag.

3. Save your money...for a few pennies more, buy the Crown Micro-tech.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

And get a roadie, as well ;)

I havent seen many bassists use Micro- and Macrotech, the more common ones are:
    QSC RMX and PLX series
    Stewart
    Crest
    Crown (mostly CE series, and some XLS for cheapos like me)
    and some more less common.

5. Yeah...they are a little beefy. But as far as Power Amps go...the Crown takes the crown for tone. One of the few that you can put side by side w/ others and say, "Oh, ok...now I get it."
    The reason I said Micro was the cost...half of the Macro or the K series (my personal fav). I'm really not impressed w/ their other lines (ie. CE, etc.).
    You mentioned: I havent seen many bassists use Micro- and Macrotech
    True...and you haven't seen many using Meyer or Clair Bros. either...but hey, if the average slob could afford them, you know they would be! The Micro is right at that 'affordable' juncture. - but yes, a bit chunky. I'm even using a couple of Stewarts now for the weight reasons. Carver and Crest's top line are very respectable amps as well...but still pricey and yes, heavy.
    But if I DID have a roadie!!!: a Crown K2 and a couple of Bag End coaxil D-410x's - ooh, my back is hurtin' just thinkin' about that!

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes, but you should add some more things:
    Those Crowns were designed not as a bass rig, but as a PA power amp. That much protection and reliability is almost overkill for simple bassists.
    Second, good power amps are designed to sound flat, so IMO there's more of a subjective preference here than tone-colouring; with these amps, the tone differences are minimal, but other features (like weight and price) are more important when considering a semi-pro bass rig.
    Besides, the guy was not asking for amps in that price range.

BTW I've heard there were some problems with the K-series - maybe they look cool and have very good features, but they still have to work on them to improve it, as far as I've heard...

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i havent liked the tone of crowns other than the macro and micro
    stewart and plx are kings as far as weight go, but they are a bit pricey.
    the crest ca series seem to be developing a cult following which i should ignore so i dont have to go try one and end up wanting it :p
    honestly, there's nothing wrong with carvin, carver, mackie. I woudl just avoid "no name" brands that no one here has experience with. If a new 800 watt power amp costs 295, there's a reason it does. ;)

8. Yeah...as w/ any company, they have their bread and butter line. As said earlier, I don't care for their other lines. I give the K's a nod as well - tone/attack is one notch shy of the Micro/Macro but no fan (noise), huge power and lighter. ...Should really do yourself a favor and test drive one.

9. I will be happy to send you a check for $5,000 if you can send me a shred of literature stating that a Micro, Macro, or K is designed specifically for PA and exclusionary for bass guitar reinforcement. However, I may agree with you; that 'simple' bassists with simple minds may not have the where-with-all to appreciate reliability and accurate sound reproduction.

Who said anything about tone coloring? Granted all power amps are 'designed' to produce a flat response, but there's a lot of variables that go into producing a flat response that sounds alive! Quality materials, workmanship, engineering design/layout, etc... the end result is not minimal. As IvanMike stated; there'are reasons why there's a big ticket price on amps like a MacroTech. On sound alone...if you have the opportunity to do an A/B w/ a PLX and a MacroTech; do it - and then...if you still think the difference is minimal; I'll call you crazy! ;)

Sure weight and price are an issue. However, speaking from 30 years and coutless thousands of dollars, I have more often than not, made the mistake of settling... secondary to my bank account's holdings, rather than being patient and waiting until I could buy top quality gear. If I can pursuade anyone from buying stuff that they're gonna sell in 6 months at a loss...I want to help them in the right direction.

Please fwd. any credible info regarding this...as I sure didn't buy them for their 'good looks'.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    BB pretty much hit it on the head.

I would love to use a macro tech 2400 but the price and weight have kept me from doing so. As a result i use a stewart 2.1, but i think the plx series are great as well.

Having experience with various power amps i can tell you that when you compare a macro tech to other amps (like a crown power tech) your jaw drops. It's that dramatic.

Unfortunately as a result of reading these forums i'll have to try out a crest ca-9, but i belive the testimony of the converts on the board. FWIW, the MOSFET power section of the aggie 750 sounds killer as well.

Having said all that, if money is an issue, amps like carvin, carver, mackie seem to be ok. Like BB, I try to limit my purchases to ones that I'll keep for a good long time, so i waited till i could afford the stewart.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    In that case, there are many people you could call crazy, bb. ;)

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My take:

QSC PLX series are nice and light, sound great, and have great filtering features for bass guitar rig applications.

I used to use a CarvinDCM2000, and there is a problem with it for bass guitar use. The aesthetic front "grill", for lack of a better word, physically rattles when placed in a rack on top of a bass cab. Its the design, and there's no way around it other than to cram a folded piece of construction paper in the front between that "grill" and the chassis of the amp, and this remained visible. I really tried to find another solution, but that was the only one that worked. Other than that, the Carvin worked nicely, though it was heavy as lead.

13. C'mon Bob...I wouldn't expect any less from the man from QSC. I bet if I got a couple of drinks in you and there was only you and me...you'd concede...the Macro over the PLX (just comparing sonically). ;)

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Ever done a double blind ABX test among name-brand power amps? If you had, you wouldn't be making such claims. ;)

15. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    How about a Lab Gruppen!! They are as light as a Carver,have tons of power,and sound fantastic! Wouldn't you agree Bob Lee?

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Lab Gruppen makes great amps. They don't have extensive distribution, support, or service in the US yet. That takes time to build.

17. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I have no trouble getting them at my store! As far as their support and service,I will let you know because so far,we have had no problems with their amps and my customers love them!!

18. from what i have heard about the crest pro 9200, it outperforms the lab.gruppen fP billy badass. of course, i heard this from the guy who designed the pro 9200. it is lighter and has more power and better sound is the word. and it's not hard to find crest or get it serviced. if you're in that budget range (it's pretty rarefied in the bass world), check one out.

robb.

19. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    The Crest is lighter than the Lab Gruppen? I thought that the Lab was pretty light at 22 lbs! It is also super powerfull,putting out 3200 watts a side into 2 ohms,2300 per side into 4 ohms,and 1300 watts a side into 8 ohms! I haven't A/B the Crest against the Lab Gruppen,but I did try the Lab Gruppen with my Glockenklang pre-amp and it sounded amazing!

20. ...would that include A/B-ing the PLX to the Macro? If so, yes. Sorry...if forgot to blindfold myself... really though, no blind necessary...it's obvious. I'm REALLY not saying QSC doesn't make a fine amplifier in the PLX...but a PLX is not in the same sonic category as a Macro of equally rated power. But value and weight are considerations, and I've owned the PLX for those same reasons...and it does a fine job. No knocks on the PLX here.