Which power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lam90, Feb 1, 2003.

1. lam90

Jan 21, 2003
    Hey guys just wondering what to think of the Mackie M-1400i or the QSC PLX-1602....
    I want to power a single Wayne Jones cab with a Sansamp RBI pre-amp...I want power and headroom....

2. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Of those two, I would vote for the PLX. I have the 1602 and have been very pleased. Almost all of my cohorts that have had the Mackies reported thermalling problems when they were pushed hard. They are a very handsome amp and have some interesting features, but with all of the other (many, lower-priced) alternatives, such as the QSC RMX series, (new)Peavey PV/Crest CPX series, Yamaha CP2000, E&W, I would find it hard to make the Mackie my first choice. That said, I sincerely hope that they get through their current crisis and continue to be a player in the market.

3. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Check out the Crest LT 1000 or LT 1500. I would choose the QSC over the Mackie.
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Of the two choices that you listed, I would also go with the QSC. My own personal choice would be and is an E&W PS series.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own both and would choose the QSC mainly because of its lighter weight, which is essentially what I did. The Mackie was a total workhorse, however, and sounded just as good when I used it. Just got a bit tired of lugging the weight around. If there was a big difference in price and the Mackie was way cheaper (and you don't mind the tonage), it'd be a no-brainer: Mackie.
  6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I'll second Jeff's opinion on the Crest!