1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lam90, Feb 1, 2003.

1. lam90

lam90

Jan 21, 2003
    Hey guys just wondering what to think of the Mackie M-1400i or the QSC PLX-1602....
    I want to power a single Wayne Jones cab with a Sansamp RBI pre-amp...I want power and headroom....

Luis:confused:

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Of those two, I would vote for the PLX. I have the 1602 and have been very pleased. Almost all of my cohorts that have had the Mackies reported thermalling problems when they were pushed hard. They are a very handsome amp and have some interesting features, but with all of the other (many, lower-priced) alternatives, such as the QSC RMX series, (new)Peavey PV/Crest CPX series, Yamaha CP2000, E&W, I would find it hard to make the Mackie my first choice. That said, I sincerely hope that they get through their current crisis and continue to be a player in the market.

Kim

3. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Check out the Crest LT 1000 or LT 1500. I would choose the QSC over the Mackie.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Of the two choices that you listed, I would also go with the QSC. My own personal choice would be and is an E&W PS series.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own both and would choose the QSC mainly because of its lighter weight, which is essentially what I did. The Mackie was a total workhorse, however, and sounded just as good when I used it. Just got a bit tired of lugging the weight around. If there was a big difference in price and the Mackie was way cheaper (and you don't mind the tonage), it'd be a no-brainer: Mackie.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I'll second Jeff's opinion on the Crest!