Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which power conditioner to get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm in the process of upgrading to a rack system, and my next purchase is a power conditioner. I had always planned on getting a Furman PL-8, but I was looking through my MF catalog and there's an RP-8 series in there too. The PL-8 lists for $159 and sells for $119, and the RP-8D lists for $189 and sells for $99. Kind of weird huh? Getting back to my original question does anybody know the difference between the RP-8 series and the PL-8? Also, do I really need to know what the AC line voltage is?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Furman power conditioners are very usable. I have owned a Chandler forever, but the Furman's are fine. The PL-8 is their standard. 15 amps, eight plugs, two telescoping lamps. Nice unit. It'll do you fine. I saw nothing on their site about the other model.

Two possibilities. 1. It is discontinued. That would explain the greater discount off list. 2. Many companies build equipment that is sold exclusively through MF. AKG does this for example. While it is the same stuff, they assign it different model numbers to prevent problems with other retailers. This may be the exact same PC with a different model number.

I would trust either one. I can't imagine their is any significant difference between the two other than perhaps the color of the chassis.

Chas

3. aren't they all the same?

I'd say a carvin because it's cheaper.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Actually, the Carvin AC120 is $150, and it has 8 outlets, line voltage leds, and lights. The Furman PL-Plus has the same features and MF has it for $160, but the RP8-D is only $100. The RP8-D has a 3 digit led display instead of the bar graph type thing.

I think I'm just gonna go with the Furman RP8-L which has lights but no voltage display. I don't think I really need that and if I do I'd just use a DVOM.

5. In this thread, does anybody make an affordable power conditioner thats actually a voltage regulator? One club we play at has consistantly low voltage (~100V) and another has consistantly high voltage (~135V), while my equipment hasn't screwed up, yet, it still worries me. The cheapest Furman with a voltage regulator runs about $600 I believe. I've been looking at UPC's for computers as these also voltage regulate but can't find one that will handle 700Va's.

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd like to know, too. I've played at a club that has brown-outs (drops in voltage to around 100v), and my Bass Pod goes flaky when this happens.

7. Furman used to make something called the "Rack Rider". They suddenly disappeared from the MF catalog once the RP-15 was introduced. Which leads me to believe that the RP series is the former Rack Rider series, in which case, I recommend you stay far, far away from them. My band bought three Rack Riders for our studio rack and sent them ALL back after the on/off switches failed.
    I got a PL-8 used for $85, and a PL-Plus for $100 (also used) and have never had any problems. The couple extra bucks is worth the reliability in my opinion.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    According to Furman's website they still make the RackRider series. I don't think the RP-15 is just a repackaged RackRider, because the list prices on them are so different.

9. What about the actual selling prices? Clearly I am wrong about the RP replacing the Rack Riders, but then...why is it selling for less? What exactly are you paying for when you go up to the PL-8? In any case, let me know how it works out.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just ordered an RP-8D for my expanded rack bag (which is still on backorder - %#*^%). I'll let everyone know how it works.