Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Poweramp for Tech 21 RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by him666, Nov 16, 2005.

1. I have an 8 Ohm Aguilar GS212 600 watts. And a Tech 21 RBI which i use for overdrive, but i would like to use it as pre-amp. Any advice on a poweramp?
    Which one are you using?

I live in Europe (220V).
    Thanks!

2. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  3. The QSC PLX1602 gets my vote, too! That's what I use with my RBI. I use it to power my Tech 21 410 & 115 cabinets. You can't go wrong with the PLX series.

4. For a little less money than the PLX I bought a Crown CE 1000 that's worked fine with my RBI for a couple of years now.900 watts at 8 ohms bridged and about ten pounds heavier than a PLX.

5. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I'm rockin my RBI with a QSC RMX 1450. loud.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's not special materials that make the transformer lighter; it's that the transformer is operating with AC at 110 kHz, so it can be a lot smaller and still be able to transfer a given amount of power compared to 50 or 60 Hz.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I used a carvin DCM2000. The worst thing about it was the weight. Weighs 38ish pounds in a 3 rack spaces. I like it though.

8. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Thank you. Changed my original post. I learned something new.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use a Stewart World 2.1. Tons of watts, 17 pounds.

I love the fact that it's dual monaural: each channel has its own power supply. It's like having two separate amps in one 2-space box... I often use just one channel and leave the other powered off as backup.

10. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    What is your budget?

I currently own about 5 power amps for various tasks (bass and PA).

I've been happy with all of them:

- Stewart World 2.1
    - Peavey DPC 1400X
    - Stewart PA-200B
    - Carvin F600
    - QSC USA 850 (old school!)

11. I'm using a Stewart World 1.6 with the RBI, into a Schroeder 4x10. LOUD. Did I say loud? Also, clean, clear, punchy, gritty, glassy.. I'm running out of adjectives. Anyway, I really like the Stewart/RBI combo.

12. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  13. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Wow. That's really cool.

So, what made you (all) go the power/pre route instead of the "traditional" head route?

14. I wanted more power than was available in a traditional head. My pre/power set-up cost considerably less than a lot of standalone heads, and I've got way more headroom than I'll ever need.