Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which pre-amp for fingerstyle mid punch?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Pitiful, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I have a Marcus Miller that I absolutely love, but the bass only has bass and trebble boost, no cuts, and no mid control. The bass is very bassey, and the trebble is too sharp.
    I am looking for a good sounding pre amp with punch and a separate Mid control. Any suggestions? I know alot of people with my bass opt for the Sadowsky, but I dont believe it has a separate mid control, and I am not a slapper. Strictly fingerstyle playing for me.
    I was considering the EMG HZ's, but would like to know if anyone else has a good setup.

Thanks.

Mr. Pitiful

2. I use EMG HZ's in my short scale custom fiver and the thing is a mid-punch demon.

The mids on the set are fantastic.

3. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Aguilar OBP-3?

You can even wire it to select the mid frequency via a switch. I like mine a lot.

But I only have experience with this one. Maybe there are others that are better.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi you also posted this in the pickups forum, I answered you there.

Also, in case you didn't know, double posting is against forum rules.

5. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I didnt mean to double post. I posted in the basses section, and then noticed there was a section just for electronics. If administration wants to delete this post they are welcome to do so.

Mr. pitiful

6. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    You really need a J-retro preamp. This has mid boost/cut and also allows you to dial in the exact mid frequency you want to boost or cut. Talk to Steve "Dude" Barr over at www.vintagebass.com for more info as he even has custom-made plates to make this thing drop right into a Marcus Miller bass. Absolutely the way to go and very versatile.

7. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Ok, I have been reading up on both of these. I am stuck between the Aguilar OBP3, and the J retro. One is much cheaper, but I dont know the real differences between them. ........................Anyone?

If it helps, I will be having a luthier do the install either way, so which would you choose? And, if I went with the OBP3, is it worthe the extra $40.00 to have it pre wired when I am having a luthier install it anyway?

Mr. Pitiful

8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    demeter

the things I have heard from this pre!!! Live and studio are awesome.

9. From what you are saying I would go with the U-Retro Deluxe (with the Vintage tone control) the VTC would give you a lot more tonal options for finerstyle and I understand that it is great for mid punch though I have no first hand expereince with the deluxe. I have heard the J-retro in a Marcus and preferred the Sadowsky. To me the Sadowsky was just juicier if that makes any sense at all!! I am considering putting a U-Retro in one of the Darryl Jones sigs I have coming (a used 4 and a new 5) based on comments from people who have done it. I am thinking of putting it in the 5 and possibly leaving the 4 passive or maybe dropping one in both...anybody got any opinions about that? Not to hijack or anything but it might be a good question for the original poster as well....thanks!

Peace,

T

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You'll need to do some routing work to get the U-Retro in there since the DJ control cavity is curved.
    I know lots of people love the J-Retro/U-Retro, personally I find it ok. It has some cool ideas in it (active blend, increasing bass q as the boost increases) but I've never found any sounds I LOVED out of it. I'm an active bass guy, and I've had best result keeping my DJ's passive.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I personally prefer the Aguilar, it's more transparent when not being used. The U-Retro/J-Retro has a slight eq preshape even when eq controls are set flat.
    Depends on the luthier, he might charge you more for the wiring than bestbassgear.com.

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    +1 on the Demeter pre. It's one of my favorites. The OB-3 is another good one that always sounds good. I don't care for the J-retro but I know that there are a lot of players that like them.

13. I actually put an EMG BTS system and a VMC (variable midrange control) in one of my basses. It is the best midrange I have heard. I have done the OBP-3, Bartolini, and others. This midrange is great. Completely variable (not a three way switch) with a great sound. The preamp is very clean and clear. I have had a lot of comments on the sound of that bass when I use it. I don't see people talk about the EMG pre's here very often, but I love mine. I have actually considered replacing some of the bartolini stuff with it.