Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which pre-amp for fingerstyle mid punch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr. Pitiful, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I have a Marcus Miller that I absolutely love, but the bass only has bass and trebble boost, no cuts, and no mid control. The bass is very bassey, and the trebble is too sharp.
    I am looking for a good sounding pre amp with punch and a separate Mid control. Any suggestions? I know alot of people with my bass opt for the Sadowsky, but I dont believe it has a separate mid control, and I am not a slapper. Strictly fingerstyle playing for me.
    I was considering the EMG HZ's, but would like to know if anyone else has a good setup.

Thanks.

Mr. Pitiful

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Do you get a good punchy tone when favoring the bridge pickup? If so, and your problem is too much treble then maybe the solution is using nickel strings if you're using stainless? Or adding a passive tone control?

If you must have a mid control, options include bartolini, aguilar, demeter and U-Retro. John East makes a U-Retro Marcus Miller replacement preamp assembly, which includes a prewired replacement control plate (you only have to attach the pickup wires and bridge ground wire). This can be bought from Steve Barr at Vintage Bass trading company (http://www.vintagebass.com).
    I personally prefer the Bartolini or Aguilar preamps, either will do what you are looking for.

BTW, EMG HZ's are a type of pickup (not preamp).

3. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Thank you. I appreciate all the help I can get. I usually dont get to roll off the neck pickup much as I get a pretty bad hum at almost all of the bars we play at. I will also try the nickle strings. I think my problem is 3 fold.
    1. My bass only has bass and treble boost when active, with no tone control for passive.
    2. I am playing through an SWR SM900 which is a pretty mid scoupled sound to start with.
    And 3. I really stupid when it comes to figuring out how to set my semi parametric EQ on the amp. I know nothing about freequencies.
    I am hoping I can set my amp fairly flat and just shape my tone with a better pre-amp.

Thank you.

Mr. Pitiful

4. the eassiest and cheapest way to upgrade your MM is get rid of the treble-pot (which is too harsh-sounding) and built in a passive tone-control.
    you get a much more balanced sound, with plenty of mids.

I also had a very nice result with the u-retro.
    that preamp rocks! :bassist:

5. Dude, try his strings. I use them, 45-105s, great low end growl with burp in the mids, a bit of high end knocked off.
    I really like them, but am thinking of going to Labella Flat Wounds for that old school sound, remember just about everything prior to 1975 was done on flat wounds.

Dave