Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Pre-amp for P-MM bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tortoise.sg, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Bartolini NTMB 2 band

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Bartolini NTMB 3 band

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Aguilar OBP-1

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Aguilar OBP-2

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Aguilar OBP-3

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. U-retro

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. Seymour Duncan STC-2P

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Seymour Duncan STC-3P

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. SADOWSKY!!!

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. Others, please state.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Hi guys, i just got my luthier to route a MM cavity in my P bass and put a Nordatrand MM4.4 in there. The pickup in the P cavity is an old one i found lying around.. and will be replaced soon. ;)

Q1) I'll be getting a Antiquity P but i'm not sure if the output volume will be equal when both pickups are on. How can I check this out?

Q2) I'd like this bass to be active but can't decide on which preamp should go in.. Before I state my preferences can I get a general feel of what you guys would like in there? And which preamp would fit in there too?

Thanks,
    Eugene :)

Attached Files:

2. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
  3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    +1. I've heard nothing but good things about them. They are what i'll be using.

-Mark

4. Will 2 bands be enough? Yes, I hear you Sadowsky players... But how often do you see a MM bass with just a 2 band Preamp? I was orginally for the obp-1 but now am reconsidering therefore the need for this thread. :smug:

Eugene

5. I had the EMG-BQS in a Jazz bass before and found it too hi-fi.. Made the bass sound a bit artificial but with a lot of kick if you know what I mean.. I'm not sure if it was the preamp then but it couldn't cut through the mix.. Not too for it now.

6. WarwickThumb777

WarwickThumb777

Jan 17, 2006
    N.R.V-Virginia
    Registered Sex Offender
    Man..Is this the Newbie site of the century?? What about HAZ-LABS pre-amps built by Henry Zajac.They came in everything that was built in the 80's and early 90's from Brooklyn..Spector,Steinberger,Fodera..etc.etc...Whats with all the Johnny come lately pre-amps?It seems 98% of the boutique basses nowadays have to have a pre-amp..For the lack of tone in the woods the Luthier used to build em'.Kids buying Warwicks..because every monkey on Mtv plays one..I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for a post 91 Warwick..It's like buying a post 88 Paul Reed Smith guitar..CNC..and soft woods..weak electronics..and garbage truss-rods..Nuthin hand made..photos are staged with factory techs posing over a half built instrument..Like they actually worked on it..LOL..For those of us that actually do neck adjustments every 6 months..or when we change string gauge.The life of a NEW Warwick truss-rod is about 6 setups..which is 3 years max in my book.Well theirs my Rant for the evening..Enjoy

http://www.hazlabs.com

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    you can't beat no preamp, PASSIVE. good ole passive for me

edit

scratch that i didn't see the P-MM, my bad.

8. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses

:rolleyes:
    You've seen him kids, gods answer to guitar and bass building.

Hi kids, can you spell the word "troll"?

9. The man is clearly an idiot.

BTW, I'd go Bartolini NTMB 3.

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

++1, I like the 2 band version myself.

11. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I work for MTV, we don't play music videos anymore. Welcome to 2006.

Is this Ed Roman???

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    1. Man..Is this the Newbie site of the century??

Yes, and with four posts, you are the Newbie of the day.

2. What about HAZ-LABS pre-amps.They came in everything that was built in the 80's and early 90's.....

Yesterday's news. And not everyone used them - check my sig.

3. Wh ats with all the Johnny come lately pre-amps?It seems 98% of the boutique basses nowadays have to have a pre-amp..

Well, technology hardly ever stands still, does it?

4. ..I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for a post 91 Warwick..It's like buying a post 88 Paul Reed Smith guitar..CNC..and soft woods..weak electronics..and garbage truss-rods..

I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for a pre-91 Warwick, but hey, that's just me.

And you know, what IS up with that CNC business? Wanting every bass to be basically the same so that you can count on it? Crazy people, I'm telling you.

Jack

13. WarwickThumb777

WarwickThumb777

Jan 17, 2006
    N.R.V-Virginia
    Registered Sex Offender

No..But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...Ed Roman..that's just cold....I cant believe that Anti-Christ set up shop in Vegas..I know it's Sin City..But him putting a showroom..satan in Sin City..so cliche....I did sell half my BC Rich crap to Jammin Jersey which is just as bad as dealing with the Pure Poop that Roman spouts.

14. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Well, not to sound cruel (and if I did I apologize) but the PRS rant just seemed so "Roman" I couldn't resist. :ninja:

15. WarwickThumb777

WarwickThumb777

Jan 17, 2006
    N.R.V-Virginia
    Registered Sex Offender
    Ernie Ball Musicman..Geeze if I had a nickel for every Axis,Stingray or Sterling that I could put a heavy pick between the neck and the side of the neck pocket...Time to redo the tolerances on thee ole' machines...And they still have paint cracks from the wood curing near the neckplates..What's the woods moisture at about 29% when they spray them .

16. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Now see, there you go gettin' all "Roman" up in here...

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Nice try, but I've been there and know how they do things, and ain't no wood curing near the neckplates.

You're telling me that QC sucks at EBMM?

This is easy. I wouldn't be involved with anything I didn't really, honestly believe in. Ask around. Even with the sometimes boutique slant here at TB, most people agree that EB quality control is pretty admirable.

How is old Ed doing?

Jack

18. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy