1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Pre-Amps Best for Berg IP series?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MTD Man, Mar 25, 2006.

1. MTD Man

MTD Man

Jun 12, 2004
    USA
    I'm very interestind in the Berg IP series after some of the reviews I have read on these forums...

This question is for any IP series owner/tryer:

What Pre-Amp(s) have you used/tried on these amps, and what did it to the sound/how did it match with the cabinet... etc.

thanks!

Chris

2. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    I would go through some threads here and check out other peoples' experience. TomBowlus had his Bass Borg a little while back with some great info on the IP's. And there's the Future of Bass Amplification thread. At the moment, I'm not using a preamp and I sound killer with plenty of volume in my 4-piece neosoul/r&b band.

If you're looking for a pretty darn flat signal I would either wait for Jim's Line Driver to come out (a basic very flat pre with a volume and HPF), get Brian Barret's True Voice pre (reasonable price, pretty flat except for the slight roll of on both the high end and low end, more tube warmth), or if you have the dough, get a Millennia preamp for only a measly $1500+. These are some top contenders, but really just about any pre will sound good through the IP's (from what I've haerd). I've only tried a few myself, but being a minimalist, I prefer a nice flat signal with no Brandname-coloring.

And don't let me forget the Epifani Quest II preamp at MF, closeout price at about 1/3rd retail if not less. Killer deal on a killer preamp that' being discontinued!

Personally, I'm waiting for Jim's Line Driver. Simple, top-notch, and it's Bergantino!

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Any preamp, really. If you like the sound of that preamp, you'll love it through the IP's. And of course, you don't even need a preamp at all. Even passive basses sound phenomenal (and get plenty loud) plugged straight in. My advice is to think about what you want/need from a preamp (DI, tone control, overdrive, effects loop, etc.) and then find a form factor you like (rack mount, table top, footpedal, etc.). In a rack mount, there are scads of options. I used my DB 680 last night, and it sounded great. The Epifani Quest II's that are being blown out at MF (without rack ears, though) pair up well. Almost any good preamp is going to sound great. I'd love to hear the Millennia and Glockenklang preamps. In the 'table top' form factor, you have The Low End True Voice (also available in rackmount) which delivers rich, complex midrange, and tube flavoring, but with great articulation. My prototype Bergantino Line Driver is a 'table top' style (and for clean tone, it's tops!), but I don't know what Jim's eventual Line Driver DI will look like. As for footpedal preamps, I really like what the EBS MicroBass II offers (though I have a few gripes), and the Sadowsky sounds great on paper. I hope to try the new ValveDrive from EBS, too.

So, again, lots of great options - including no preamp at all! :cool:

Tom.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I haven't tried the IP series yet, but the HT series have a very good synergistic thing going on with Demeter VTBP-201S preamps.