1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which preamp do YOU use with your QSC PLX/PLX2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RWiegman, Nov 30, 2006.

1. RWiegman

RWiegman

Jul 18, 2005
    Netherlands
    Which preamp do YOU use with your QSC PLX/PLX2?
    Does it have enough "ooomph" to drive the PLX to it's full output?
    Please also tell me the type of PLX you are using.
    Pictures are allowed here...;)

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    SWR Grand Prix with QSC PLX 3002. A very happy match!

[​IMG]

Alex

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    aggy1.

BOOYAH!!! :cool: :cool:

Yes- the Aggy drives the PLX no problem. However this was only AFTER I started plugging into the "Passive" input.
    I refuse to use the "Active" anymore as it really kills the volume. Guess for practice I could do that, but why the hell would you ever wanna turn THIS down??

fullstack1.

:hyper: :hyper:

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden Navigator driving qsc/plx 1602, bridged mono, pumping 1600 watts into a schroeder 410...drives the qsc fine, which drives the schroeder very well...killer combo!

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I never use the active input on any rig and I have an 18v Aqular pre in my bass. Can't stand the active inputs! Just my 2 cents

6. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Ashly BP41 into PLX1602, great combo of old and new and of course squeeky clean with no tubes anywhere. :)
    I used to use an old Ashly FET1500M power amp and when I got rid of it my rack lost 35 lbs, really.
    Dirk

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    BBE BMax-T into a PLX3002. All Good:D

8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I know this has been brought up before, and answered, but is the PLX master all the way up, and the volume controlled by the pre master the prefered set-up?

9. HeyMikey

HeyMikey

Dec 28, 2005
    I use a Yamaha PB-1 with my PLX2 3602. It is thunderous.:)

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

This is what I normally do.

I crank my PLX (only use one side, @ 1100W no need to bridge just yet!!) all the way, set my "Volume" to where it gets enough of the pre coming through, and adjust the "Master" throughout the gig/whatever to taste.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I just did that in the photo to get the LEDs to light up - the speaker cable wasn't connected otherwise it would have been scarily loud!

Normally I have my preamp master volume sitting around 2 o'clock and then the power amp gain at 12 o'clock. I then make most of my volume adjustments with the QSC's gain knobs. I like the way this allows me to quantify any increases in volume that are needed, as it's marked in dB so you really know what's going on.

It also reduces the risk of accidental clicks and pops early in the signal chain driving huge power levels through your speakers.

Alex

12. salzie

salzie

Dec 27, 2005
    NYC
    I use a SansAmp bass driver DI. No problem driving it, but it may be because I had Lord Valve tweak the input sensitivity on the 1202.

13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have used with a 2402:

SWR
    Trace Elliot
    Intersound IVP
    G-K
    Peavey Max
    Ampeg SVP CL

They all have enough to drive the amp to full output

14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Line 6 BassPOD XT Live > QSC 2402 > two ACME B2's(4 ohm)

OR if a more "open" sound and less gadgeted rig is needed:
    SansAmp RBI > DBX 166xL > QSC 2402 > two ACME B2's

I also keep the amp volume down some(1/2 to 3/4 depending on the room size and these are 300 ~ 500 watt speakers) AND use the 30Hz filter.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I've used a Demeter VTBP-201S into a PLX1602 for about 5 years (just now trading for a different amp).

Plenty of gain.

It's a great preamp for punching through in a band setting -- somewhat limited EQ options, but most all are very musical (esp. with JAN-Philips 12AX7WA tubes).

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Peavey Max (replaced Alembic F-1X) or V-Bass. Or PA mixer ; } - since I really don't use that much power for my bass rig. I do much as Alex: set the preamp post-gain high enough to drive the PLX into clipping when its knobs are all the way up, then turn its knobs to where I actually need them.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    In a past life I ran these preamps into a PLX 1602:
    Trace SMX 12 band
    SWR IOD -> active crossover
    guitar POD

Now I run a Demeter VTBP-201 or an Avalon U5 into a PLX2 1804.

I find that the Avalon's line level output drives it very very nicely and the Demeter does a great job but not nearly what the Avalon does. Everything else I've used has been adequate but obviously not pushing the limit, with the exception of the Trace which didn't even push it hard enough to get to gig volumes. The SWR IOD into the active crossover was great because the crossover would boost the output and the overall sound was great.

I've been waffling on selling either the Demeter or the Avalon and keep leaning toward selling the Avalon, but they keep coming up for sale in the classifieds and then I force myself to wait a bit longer to see if I'm sure. The Avalon -> QSC setup is really fantastic. But so is the Demeter -> QSC. Augh!

18. +1 on that setup. I have used this very successfully. I prefered the J&J rather than JAN but all in all much better than the stock EHX.

19. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Read Custom Purity preamp.

20. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Currently using an Ampeg SVP CL into a PLX-1602.

Before that, I've recently used a GK 2001 RBP, Trace V-Type and Demeter HBP-1

All of these preamps have worked fine with my PLX. I bought my amp used, so I don't know if the input sensitivity has been changed or not (is there any way to tell or measure it??)