1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which preamp does a good job of getting in marcus miller range

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frankenjazz, Mar 24, 2010.

1. frankenjazz

frankenjazz

Jan 2, 2010
    just as the subject states im wondering what preamp can get me into marcus miller territory

2. Aguilar OBP-1

plain and simple...

OBP-1 allllll the way

;)

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  4. mhduffl

mhduffl

Nov 27, 2008
    Hong Kong
    If you want to stick to Marcus' tone as close as possible, you should try the bartolini tct that installed in his original 77 jazz bass.
    I find the mike pope preamp is also have "that" range = transparent sound that is not adding too much to your original bass tone.
    Haven't try the well-known sadowsky nor aguilar obp-1/2.
    I have tried aguilar tone hammer that is the same as obp-3 that I don't think it sounds close.

P.S. = I think the wood combination, set up, pickup and good fresh strings help the sound too.

Good luck,
    Man-Ho

5. I remember a post from way back about someone asking Marcus himself the same question.
    His suggestion was to buy an outboard preamp, and he specifically mentioned the outdated Aguilar DB924. This preamp is based on the onboard OBP-1, so I'd say getting that one would be a safe bet.

6. that original Bart pre was tweaked and that 'tweaked' pre turned into the Sadowsky on-board which later found it's way to becoming the Aguilar OBP-1, I believe(d) that Mr. Aguilar did some of the original tweaking of the Bart circuit back in the day... but that could be me connecting dots that aren't quite there :D

MSIMSBASS likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020