Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which preamp or no preamp for EMG Js

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JayJay, Nov 30, 2003.

1. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Hi,

I just purchased a new EMG J set yesterday to upgrade for my Yamaha 4 string. Really eager to solder and try them out.

However, I am bug with the question as to which on board preamp to go with them. I am considering the full EMG BQC system or the Aguilar OBP-3 for full 3 band control. Anybody tried the OBP-3 with EMG Js?

One question though, do you all believe in a 3 band EQ. for a jazz bass? I mean all the great jazz basses I noticed just featured a 2 band EQ. at most or none at all. So is a 3 band an overkill? My opinion is that the 3 band lends itself more for the 5 string basses rather than the 4 stringers.

Or should I just installed the EMG Js without any onboard preamp and probably could use the Sadowsky outboard pre.

Just views are much appreciated. Thanks

Jay

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, I love the sound of my EMG loaded P-bass with no preamp. Pickup straight into a volume and tone control (standard P-bass config) and into the amp. Sounds great to me!

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It is all a matter of personal preference. I used to be Mr. Load-Em-Up-With-Electronics, but now I'm leaning towards enjoying the sound of a passive bass. Really, there is no such thing as overkill. Do what you want to do and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

BTW, if you play more than one bass on gigs, then the onboard preamp is a blessing. With the onboard preamp, you can set each bass to your liking and then you can switch basses with a simple A/B switch. No need to touch your amp because you do all of your eq tweaking at the basses.

However, I will point out that I'm currently using a passive bass with all the eq knobs on my preamp set flat. Go figure, here I am a big proponent of onboard electronics and my current favorite is a passive bass with no eq alteration at the head either.

Without a doubt, do what feels right to you.