Which preamp should I use???

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Aren, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I am currently using a Fishman BP-100 running through an SWR workingmans 1x10". I have also tried running it through my SWR 350-4x10" and in both situations I find my tone to be thinner and harsher (acoustically the bass sounds great) than I prefer. I am on a pretty limited budget (its hard to buy new gear with $20 gigs) so I dont have the luxury of trial and error with equipment. What preamps would you recommend to clean up my sound? I have heard mixed reviews of just about everything Fishman makes so I dont really want to just take a stab in the dark and hope that the "recommeded preamp" works for me. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I appreciate your reply. I took a look in the newbie posts, and didnt really find what I was looking for. I would really like to talk to some people who have tried some different preamps with the BP-100, to get an idea of what they liked and didnt like. I have tried an L.R. Baggs Para/Acoustic DI and it worked pretty good but wasnt as user freindly as I would like for live situations (great when you have time to sit and play with it though). I am currently running through an ART Tube MP, then straight into my amp -plenty of signal but no e.q.:( Thanks for your help.
  3. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I would get a new pu. k&k bass max perhaps. Fishman are known for being harsh and thin. Maybe get an inexpensive graphic eq and use the art pre amp. Those things sound pretty good. I used one at a big show (2000 seater) direct into the pa, no amp and got a great sound out of it.

4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I started with a Fishman, then tried a Barcus Berry for a second, and ended up with a Bass Max. For $89 its not too much of a pricey experiemnt, however, you need to get a good preamp to got with it. I use a Raven MDB1, and love it. If you just get a good preamp, it probably won't diminish the intrinsic sound that you describe, which is basically how the BP100 sounds on my bass too. My only disclaimer is that obviously what sounds good on my bass might not sound good on your bass. Or it could sound better!

As far as a premp selection, the raven is kind of pricey (I think ~$275), but you could pickup the K&K preamp for like 80-90 bucks.
  5. JonB

May 27, 2003
    My story is almost the same as the previous post, except the order was Barcus Berry, Fishman, and then K&K bass max, which I'm still happy with.
    I have to agree that your money would be better spent with a different pu rather than trying to fix that pickup with a different preamp.
    I used the Bass Max with the Fishman Mobel B preamp (in case you have that preamp) for a while and it works, but the K&K preamp sounds better.
  6. Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    It sounds like I bought the wrong pickup. I wish I would have know about Talkbass before I spent my money. Now I will pay hell trying to talk "the
    boss" into letting me buy another one. :bawl:
  7. dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Just a note:
    I bought a KnK bass max from Bob gollihur. I run it directly into my Hartke Kickback 12 with out a pre amp. It does a good job. I don't play very loudly,m blue grass, C&W, gospel. I have a tube pre amp that I have used to go into the PA system directly, this works very well.. I would recommend you try one of Bob's KnK preamps. I would like to hear about the combination condenser mic/piezo pick up with one of their pre amps
    Walt MI/US
  8. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    fwiw, i use a bass max through a raven labs pmb-1 (eq flat) into the effects return of my amp and it sounds *much* better than running straight into the amp input. whether that's because of impedance matching for the pickup or the bypassing of the amp's eq voicings (in the preamp sxn) i'm unsure. it sounds pretty darn good, though.

sean p
  9. basster

Aug 14, 2003
    the fishman pu sounds much better if you give more pressure to it. i used one for a while and mounted the both elements under the bridge-foot/ bass-barre side as they do it with the realist. check it out, maybe that`s the right and cheapest solution for you. to play the fishman with the swr workingman, an impedance matching preamp is needed. if the workingman`s filters are o.k. for you, a simple buffer preamp is all you need. the cheapest fishman preamp does this job fine and gives you an onboard level control, too. you`re art tube preamp has a 1megOhm input, that`s not as good as the fishman`s (and others) 10 megOhm input, but much better than workingman`s (and most bassamps) low impedance input. another very cheap solution is the behringer mini mic preamp, similiar to the art but less than half the price. hope you understand me, my english is not the best....
    best regards: basster / germany