1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which preamp tube to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexclaber, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. alexclaber

    alexclaber Commercial User

    Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    My trusty SWR GP is starting to distort on peaks (which I think is a sign that the tube's had it). The trying question is what tube to put in there. I had found an incredibly in-depth review on the net regarding finding the ideal tube for an EMG using SWR GP owner - however it's proven impossible to find any of his recommended tubes.

    Any ideas on what to buy and where to get it from?


  2. ebozzz

    ebozzz Supporting Member

    May 17, 2001
    Contact Lord Valve at NBS Electronics. He can help you out. There are other options and I'm sure that someone else will chime in.
  3. submelodic


    Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
  4. Tapp


    Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    If you can come across an NOS RCA 12AX7 or 7025 this would be a good choice. I have one in my IOD and am very happy with the tone. I believe Bill Bolton on TBL suggested this tube and that's why I tried it.

    Make sure you get it from a reputable source that will exchange it if something is wrong.

  5. Your from London so there must be Mullards all over the place! There is a company in England called Watford Valves. In the US there is Tube World Inc., Angela Instruments, Antique Electronic Supply, KCA NOS tubes, Triode Electronics to name a few. Or my first stop which is ebay.
  6. Different tubes don't always sound good in all preeamps. Sovtek EH's aren't held in the highest regard but for MEsa preamps they really sound great! Those popular JAN 12AX7WA's with their warm, brown sound were too soft for me but great in bright Fender-style rigs. Some tubes add snarl and bite, others ad warm, glowing midrange. I like EH's for their throaty mids. WOuld really like to try Sovtek LPS's. Chuck Moses likes those...
  7. tonru


    Mar 15, 2002
    depends what you want.
    i got a pair of Mullard CV4004s that are considered a little hi-fi.i also got one of the famous Telefunken 12ax7s,a well balanced valve.i had originally planned to use them in my guitar combo to balance my mids,but have since decided to use them for when i get a hybrid or all tube bass amp;i'm quite new and haven't got my first amp yet.