1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Preamp would you get?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by learning_towalk, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Red Truck Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rocket Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $50 Fishman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. learning_towalk

learning_towalk Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    With my wedding coming up I don't have the cash to spend on the preamp that I want, so I need something to hold me over until after the honeymoon :)

Anyways I've been reading about Electronix preamps and for the price they seem to be quiet. My question is which of these two would you go for?

This will be used with a RS1

Electronix BI200 Red Truck Plus:
    4.7M ohm input
    10k ohm output
    1/4" female output, 1/4" female input jack (Input jack acts as a on-off switch)
    "Red Truck Plus Bass Guitar Preamp. It is a convenient way to upgrade passive bass guitars to active ones. The main idea behind Red Trucks is to achieve a richer tonal quality and wider frequency response of active bass systems WITHOUT altering your guitar's tonal personality and appearence.
    Red Truck Plus has higher gain and warmer sound compared to Red Truck. Additional gain boost makes it possible to be used as a direct input device along with high end and volume loss within those longer than 10 feet cables. It also helps to improve signal quality when it is used with effects pedal chains and can be used as a direct input device to mixers, PAs or even computers"

or

Electronix Pi200 Rocket Plus Acoustic Guitar Pre:

4.7M ohm input
    10k ohm output
    1/4" female output, 1/4" female input jack (Input jack acts as a on-off switch)
    "Pi-200 Acoustic Guitar Buffer Preamp. Just like its sister Rocket lite, Rocket Plus is also designed to improve the "piezo sound" of your acoustic electric guitar as well as giving a clean gain boost. Many guitar players complain about how their sound is very different when they plug their instrument to an amp or mixing console. There is no depth and feel, just an unshaped and harsh "plug-in" sound."

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    What do you need it to do?

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    For DB--none of the above. I'd buy fdeck's HPF/pre-amp especially because you are using a piezo pickup and a good HPF is invaluable for rejecting the infrasonics that can be transduced. fdeck's device provides proper loading for the piezo (10 Mohm), is a very quiet circuit with ample dynamic range, and costs all of about $50.00. In fact, you might not ever need to buy another pre-amp, giving you more $$$ to spend on the honeymoon. By the way, congrats on your marriage. :)

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    +1

5. learning_towalk

Mar 15, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    awesome I will send Fdeck a PM...thanks

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Watch what happens if you add fdeck's HPF/pre to your survey. :)

7. learning_towalk

Mar 15, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    After reading reviews, I just placed an order for one of Fdeck's Preamps/HPF...

So my doubling rig (For now) will be

Cirrus 6 and Bassbob's Frankintino w/ Eminence Bridge and Black Diamond Gut Tones/Eurosonic Ultralights>RS1>Fdeck>Traynor YBA200>Schroeder 1210

For bigger gigs I will go
    bass>Fdeck>(maybe PodXT)>LiveWire DI>House

Wouldn't mind trading my Schroeder for one of the new Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 amps though...lighter weight, similar power, and smaller footprint.

Thanks for your help...will give reviews later

be blessed