Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeat33, Feb 24, 2005.

1. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    i need opinions.... I've narrowed my preamp options down to 2 choices... Ampeg Svp Pro or Tech 21 Sansamp RBI. Ive played an Svp Pro (a svt3pro) and liked the way it sounded but have read good reviews for the Sansamp. I play rock, harder and softer, and want to be able get good mids and lows. also if i decided to get the Ampeg, down the road could i get the sansamp and run it as an effect(thats the impression i get but i just want to make sure)?

appreciate any help

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

Based on what you said, I'd get the SVP. It has really good mid and low mid presence and cuts thru like nobody's business in rock/metal. I had trouble with the RBI when I had one. Sounded sweet alone but it is hard to eq it to cut thru in a band.

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I second that SVP choice. You could later buy a used SansAmp BDDI pedal and use it for more overdrive if you need it and you wont have to spend $300 on the RBI.

Also take a look at BBE bass preamps. The BMax-T is better IMO, but you can't beat the SS BMAX for $300.

I hope this helped.

4. This might be a bit excessive, but I use an old ADA MP2 guitar preamp in my rig. I run it on the 'FAT CLEAN' drive mode and it cuts through so freakin' good, and since it's tube, I still get my low end. Just me, though.