1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larzito, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm thinking of trying a preamp/power amp combo to power my Bergie 115/210 cabs. Power amps under consideration are QSC 3402 or the Stuart World 2.1. QSC because of power/weight/reliability, Stuart because of power/weight/reputation for being a good sound for bass.

I once had a Demeter HBP-1/Hafler setup. I thought it sounded a little thin. I'm wondering if the VTBP-201S is fatter. I hear its EQ is rather subtle.

TBer Mission:
    Tell me about your experiences using/comparing the various high quality preamps on the market. I'm looking for fat AND clear bass with sweet midrange. I don't slap much, so sparkly treble is not my thing. I like the warm smooth mids of tubes, but want clarity in the low end. And lots of low end too. I want it all. Under consideration are:

Kern IP-777 (never heard this one, BP reviewed it as as having a clear but fatter than Demeter vibe, and more hifi than Alembic FX1 (which I thought sounded raw and unrefined). This one intrigues me the most right now.

Demeter VTBP 201S

Aguilar DB659 (a bit "fuzzy" I thought).

Ashdown RPM-1 (I'm currently using an EVO 500 head which I like overall, but its a bit compressed amd mushy in the lower frequencies. It may be that power amp is not powerful enough for the Bergies).

Others?