1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which pressure-sensitive pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frisbieinstein, Nov 8, 2010.

1. frisbieinstein

frisbieinstein

Dec 29, 2007
    I recently tried a Fishman piezo at a music store and was sold on it. It's perfect for my style. Fishman does not seem to sell their ebass pickups direct, though.

Could anyone recommend a pressure-sensitive pickup? How about Pickup The World, which is polymer?

2. Pressure-sensitive pickups?:confused:
    You mean piezoelectric elements?

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    GraphTech Ghost Pickup System. They build their piezo elements into bridge saddles for Fender and Hipshot style bridges. For the buffer, you can either build one or use Bartolini's.

FWIW, everyone refers to them as piezo pickups.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    And what exactly did you try this Fishman pickup on at the music store? There isn't much information here.

Basically one has a piezo polymer sheet that is wired to a very high impedance preamp (This is a special item. Fishman sells a number of them and Pickup the World has them too).

Pickup the world makes great pickups of this type that can be used for a variety of purposes. I've used them on conga drum heads! Usually on a stringed instrument they go under or on the bridge.

For bass guitars people also make bridges with a separate piezo pickup for each string saddle. (Note with Carvin's you can use trimpots to balance the output of each string).

Just root around the internet, especially the Fishman and Pickup the world sites. There is a ton of information out there. Most solutions end up with some kind of pickup (mine are usually homemade) and some Fishman preamp. I highly recommend the Fishman "Power Chip" for building into an instrument. Matches any piezo and will also mix in a magnetic pickup too. And even cooler, lets you use a stereo cable if you want stereo outputs. Too cool for words. (But takes some technical experience to install! You may need help.)

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    allparts sells several bass bridges with piezo elements in the saddles.

couple that with a good piezo preamp and you're off to the races.