Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Projects into the Audience Better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 23, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

I'm trying to fill a medium sized room that fits roughly 75-100 people. With my WT400, is my Eden 1x10 gonna be able to fill the room without me going thru a DI --> PA? i'm playing mostly with another vocalist, acoustic guitarist thru the PA and a moderate drummer with no mic'ing.

Should i be getting a 1x12 or 2x10 so i can get that projection without having to turn up and overpower anyone onstage?

i'm confused...

2. I think that the 2x10 would be a real nice thing to have instead of the 1x10 and i think in the future you'll appreciate having it more as well. The 210XLT is just an excellent cab. You might be able to make due with the 1x10, but the XLT cabs are much better anyways that i would just recommend getting one. Trust me, you won't regret it.

3. I would say you are cutting it pretty close. Although you are playing along with an acoustic guitar. How does it sound in practice? do you cut through ok? Depending on your musical style you may be alright but I would definately consider adding another cab soon but if you do have a low stage volume and don't think you need more get a good di box and run it into the pa. A 1x10 should work ok as a small monitor but nothing I would use for filling a room.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'll second the 1x15 idea. You want the audience to hear you, so move a little more air. I just don't think small speakers project well when you only have one or two.

5. The 210XLT is surprisingly loud.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    imo no a single 10" wont be enough to cut the mustard. Youll still have the rest of your ensamble playing and crowd noise to contend with. A 2x10, 1x15 or ideally imo 4x10 would be much better.

the single 10" will serve well as a reference moniter though as you run thru the pa.

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Why stop at a 1x15? Go for a 1x18!:D

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    why stop with just a normal 18"?!

get this!

[​IMG]

i frequently gig with just my goliath jr running into one channel of my poweramp - and there are very few instances where i really need my other cabinet. any good 2x10 should cut thru just fine.

jason

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thanks for all the help guys!

but i'm still a little confused. does a larger cab give you better clarity and cut into the mix? cuase, i think there's some masking between the drummer and myself. he's also against a wall which i know doesnt help much, but we have to be in this position in the room.

i think my Eden WT400 and 1x10 seems plenty loud for the situation. when the band stops and i play, i sound pretty loud. I've tried with the EQ to cut thru, but my friends in the audience say i lose the booty shakin' low end and i dont wanna add anymore midrange and end up masking the acoustic.

So, would something larger like a 2x10 offer me an EQ adjustment, that regular EQ doesnt do? could i get away with a 1x12? i wanna save my back. I think anything larger than a 1x12 or 2x10 would be crazy for my purposes.

10. A Bag End 1x15 is very small, and only weighs 44 pounds. It also sounds great. Smaller and lighter than most 2x10's, and with more bass response and projection.