1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which p'ups will fit and sound best in my SX jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sovatone dano, May 3, 2010.

1. sovatone dano

sovatone dano

Jan 7, 2009
    VA
    :help:

Hey guys,

I have a SX SJB-62 5 string and my lady is buying me some new p'ups for it. I love to play bass and have been for 14 years, but I am not big on the technical aspect of dimensions and all that jazz <--ha. I leave that to the pros (y'all). Which ones will fit my bass and I'm almost sold on Dimarzio Ultra Jazz....I play in a groove rock 3 piece band (sovatone.com if you wanna hear some) and my rig is a Peavey Classic 400 head running through an Ampeg 8X10.

I want the sound to fill the room with alot of bottom for that backbone, but still want it to attack like a rock bass.

If y'all can help me out like y'all have before, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks alot and keep on thumpin!

2. chnapz

chnapz

Aug 6, 2007
    France
    just added a pair of ultrajazz to my 96' jazzbass yesterday and it made the bass come back to life again ! great sound, no hum, good attack, nice lows ... good deal for the money imo

3. xoloder

xoloder

Aug 14, 2009
    San Leandro, CA.
    +1 on ultrajazz.

4. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    I have yet to have a bad experience with any DiMarzio pickups. The Ultra Jazz would be my first choice for an aftermaket Jazz pickup.

5. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
  6. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
  7. EMGs!!

8. Adam Sandling

Adam Sandling

Dec 5, 2007
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders!! They are not hum cancelling like the Ultra Jazz p/ups but the sound is there and they've got loads of output. It's just a big meaty sounding set of p/ups.
    I will recommend changing out the pots, cap. and output jack. There's cheap-o wire, p/ups and pots in those basses and you would be doing yourself a favor by doing so. If you do this you will also need to bore out the holes in your control plate to accomodate the new pots as they are larger in diameter. It's not hard to do, you just need a drill bit the width of the threaded portion of the pot and proceed to bore it out. The hole for the output jack won't require this.
    I've just recently switched out the p/ups in my SX with some old Duncan active E.Q. p/ups so I 'm familiar with this operation. I just don't recommend going active as you'll have to chisel out some wood to make room for the battery and that gets risky.
    These basses are great, cheap and can be made into pro machines with upgrades that you would normally do to a Fender.
    BTW I plan on adding a Badass to my SX then it will be killer!

9. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    I love the stock pickups in my SX jazz.

10. bryceg2189

bryceg2189

Jul 24, 2009
    i added a nordstrand nj4se to my sx pj just to see what would happen...and it rocks.

11. sovatone dano

sovatone dano

Jan 7, 2009
    VA
    Thanks for all the input fellas!

I ended up going back up to guitar center and ordered a pair of the dimarzio UltraJazz 5's. Super stoked about it! They should be coming in soon. I'm switching strings too. I've always played Ernie Ball Rounds but now I'm going to D'Addario Flatwound Chromes. Mainly for the mellow feel and no finger noise. We'll see what happens!

Thanks again dudes!