1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which pups ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I recently got an Aria 2 Pro Magna bass cheap secondhand, 4 string, P/J setup, just because im bored and want a bass to mod up

Im thinking about getting some SD 1/4 pounders to replace the P pickup, but am unsure what to get for the J

I was looking at the jazz 1/4 pounder, but it isnt stacked, so im wondering how annoying the hum could get, i was also looking at thier hot stack and classic stack, i think they hot stack would give more of a growly/aggressive/biting tone

Any opinions/other suggestions?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

had a hot p hotstack combo and it was pretty decent but scooped and not very versatile - but appealing useable tone nevertheless. !/4 pounders don't know about. Stacked J's typically yield a thicker humbucker-like tone, but not necessarily. However the classic stacks I had pretty much nailed the Fender vintage single J tone - not easy to pull off cause even few single J's will do that. Lot of variables involved in growl so hard to say there.

Off the cuff, sounds like Model J territory to me.