1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which p'u's for my essex

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I just got my 70's red sx jazz bass, very fine instrument. The pickups already i think are really nice but I cant help but think I should just upgrade them, take the bass up a notch.
    I have some Seymour Designed pickups laying around from my fretless squire, do you think that would be an improvement over the stock?
    I got some fender original pickups (the kind they have in the geddy apparently) but the reviews I've read said there not that good.
    Would Dimarzios be a good choice?
    I need something versatile, I play a lot of rock/blues/country-ish Grateful Dead type stuff, along with some reggae and a little bit of punk. I've been getting into slapping and funk metal lately too.
    Thanks for your thoughts

2. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    WHat would give me a good slap sound that will cut through, something like Trevor Dunns tone on the Mr. Bungle (Self titled)?

3. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    I put a set of Dimarzios on mine, only $100 at bestbassgear.

Very Satisfied with the results

Attached Files: