Which QSC for my Ampegs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biergott, Feb 6, 2003.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    What model QSC power amp would you recommend to run my Ampeg PR15H and Ampeg PR410H? Also, should I run this bridged or in stereo?

I am still deciding on a preamp, but most likely with get the Ampeg. I like the sound even though I haven't been happy with the reliability of my dead SVT-4PRO or the customer service from St. Louis Music.

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i use a qsc 1450 with my svp coming from my fender jazz/sadowsky pre
  3. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I think, bang-for-the-buck, you'd be hard pressed to beat the QSC RMX 1850HD. If you look hard, you should be able to snag a new one for less than $450. It's rugged, versatile and not too heavy. As far as bridged or stereo(parallel mono, I presume), It's your choice. The amp and speakers will handle either. The 1850 is happy at 4 ohms, bridged, so you have some options as to how much power you have on tap for any given gig.

4. GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    I am bridging an RMX 850 into a 410 and 115 with an SVP. Unless you are playing stadiums with no monitors, this is plenty of power. Hard to beat for $299 shipped.
  5. slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    If I'm not mistaken those cabs are rated 600 watts and 4 ohms. This means you'll want an amp that will deliver at least 600-800 watts per side at 4 ohms. A QSC RMX2450 would be a good choice or if you want a lighter more efficient amp then go with the QSC PLX3002. Either of these amps will be enough juice to run the amp in stereo which means, depending on the pre you select, you can either biamp or run both cabs full range. Please be advised however that a Crown amp will blow away a comparable QSC (CE series to RMX, Power Tech to PLX, etc.) when it comes to reproducing tight clean bass frequencies. The dampening factors on the Crowns are higher. Everybody has their own opinions so you really have to go to the local dealer and check them out for yourself.
  6. jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    How come I never hear anyone hear anyone talk about the PLX1202. I would think that 1200 watts bridged to 4 ohms would make this a popular choice for bass guitar. Seems like most folks go for the 2402. Are people attracted to the class H design, or are they looking for more headroom?
  7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Blow away? That would be news to a lot of people. ;)

Don't misunderstand damping factor. It's a very roundabout but marketing-friendly way of stating an amp's output impedance. There are good ways and bad ways to design an amp to get high damping factor specs to print on paper, and there are also ways to shade the parameters (such as defining it only up to 400 Hz instead of 1 kHz) to yield higher numbers.

But in reality, your system damping will be far greater influenced by the speaker cabling than by the amp's damping factor spec. In fact, a few feet of speaker cable and a passive crossover in a speaker cabinet will put an amp with a DF spec of 200 and another of 2000 on practically equal terms.

A net system damping factor of 50 or better will yield very tight bass response. Once you get above an amp DF spec of a couple hundred or more, the differences are so minute that they are negligible. The robustness of the amp's power supply will have a greater effect on the quality of its bass response.
  8. Specifically, I went with the 2402 over the 1202 as I drive 2 4ohm D410XLTs. I find that the rated 700 watts a side is a great match for the cabs. For me the 325watts of the 1202 is little shy. I don't play that loud. Speaker control and headroom are better.
  9. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Sorry, I should have posted the rating of my cabs. Here they are if it helps in your responses:

(All according to Ampeg)

400w RMS, 800w Program @ 8 ohms

600w RMS, 1200w Program @ 8 ohms

This might also affect whether I should parralel bridge or run 2 channel separately....
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    If you want to use the cabs to their full capability power handling wise then you can use even more power than that. Upwards in the neighborhood of 1200 watts or even more I'd say. But you don't necessarily need to use the cabs to their full extent if you are getting enough volume/headroom with less power.

IMO the QSC's are just as good or better than Crowns. Especially the RMX compared to the CE series. I've had nothing but bad luck with the Crown CE series. They are some of the most unreliable amps I've come across.