Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which QSC Poweramp would supply me with enough power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Hi there everybody,

Which QSC Poweramp would supply me enough power to keep up with two guitarists, each playing their respective 100Watt all-tube head with 4x12 guitar cab.
    It's important to know that I play in a death metal band and so them guitarplayers both use very high distortion settings. I already have my Ampeg SVP-Pro.

I've read many topics on these fabulous QSC power amps. But I've still got questions.

I'd like to get me a QSC out of the RMX series or eventually the PLX series (less weight to carry!).

What are your suggestions?
    Also think about a corresponding cabinet that can handle the power of the QSC (keep in mind that I still have to transport the cab; a 8x10 would be too big!).
    Many of you guys wrote (in other QSC topics) to get enough power (like 1000 watts and higher) but what cabs can handle such high outputs (yeah I know 8x10's can, but what about 4x10's??)

Thanks in advance

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I just bought the 850, and I'm using it bridged mode into a 6x10, and it's more than enough. I'm playing with two guitarists with 4 4x12s each.

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    What are you using for speaker cabinets?

4. [​IMG]

Has been known to eat a pair of Marshall full stacks for breakfast. Preamp is Ampeg, power amp is an RMX2450. Cabs are 8 ohm Eden 210XLT and 115XL (thanks, Gard).

Only part of the equation is amplifier power - cabinet efficiency is also critical.

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    custom 6x10 (8 ohms, others are 4 ohms).. RMX 850

[​IMG]

6. I don't have a cab yet. That's why I posted this thread. :D

Other question;
    I'm also a guitarist and own a Line 6 POD Pro.
    I have a Marshall 1960a 4x12 cabinet.
    Now would a QSC RMX850 be good to power my POD Pro preamp without blowing the Marshall cabinet?
    The Marshall cab can handle 300 Watt RMS and the RMX850 puts out 200Watt @ 8ohm and 300Watt @ 4ohm.
    It might be interesting for me to use the poweramp for both bass and guitar...?

7. I use the QSC 1850HD with two Eden cabs 1x15, 2x10

Keeps up plenty with the guitarists.

8. you guys all seem to have uncompact cabs (6x10, 1x15 + 2x10)
    but what about beating them guitarist with only a 4x10?

9. well that is going to depend on the cab

get an Eden 410XST and pump 1000 watts into it, it'll blow everyone away.

and how is a 2x10 uncompact? both my cabs are compact, thats why I got them.

10. 1000 watt into a 4x10
    i didn't know such a cab could handle such an output
    any risks of blowing the speakers?

hm
    well imo its easier to transport one 4x10 then carrying around both a 115 and a 210

11. just read on the eden site that eden has 4x10 cabs which handle 1000 watt rms output :rolleyes:

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've been bridging to mono my QSC PLX 2402 into my 300 watt 8 ohm Bergantino HT112.

that's 1500 watts.

i really like having to barely touch the gain/volume knobs.

mono i get 450 watts.

the rule of thumb for amp/cab mating is 1.5 to 2x the rms rating of the cab for amp power.

YMMV.

its a whole nuther story with my Bergie HT212...2400 WATTS YEAH!

i can keep up with most.
    f

13. So...

do I get this right (yeah sorry if I might sound stupid, but I'm a newbie):

example: a 300 watt cab can handle a 900watt power amp (if you don't put that amp too loud?)
    is it correct when I say that a higher output amp can get the same volume level with lower gain/volume settings then a low output amp?

14. You should really do a search for "headroom" this issue has been argued ad nauseum.

15. Thanks,
    them headroom topics where quite 'clarifying' (is that an english word?? :))

16. sure, like butter :)

17. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've found that good quality cabinets like to be "JUICED".

just takes some diligence on the player to ride the gain settings.

AND DON'T EVER EVER EVER LET ANYONE PLAY THROUGH YOUR RIG AT A GIG.

well, maybe not never.

but, NEVER ANYONE FROM THE AUDIENCE!

i don't know HOW many times i've had people come up and ask if they can try my bass/amp. usually friends of the other band members.

funny, the range of responses i get too.

ok, there are probably TWO people that i know i'd let play through my rig.

ok, don't talk to strangers.

f

18. Phyrexian asked...

you guys all seem to have uncompact cabs (6x10, 1x15 + 2x10)
    but what about beating them guitarist with only a 4x10?

That's a great question.

IME it's easier to move two 60 lb. things than one 100 lb. thing. Plus, if I don't need all that juice I can just bring the rack and one cab.

19. I have two PLX 3002 for my bi-amp rig, and a PLX 1202 for the PA amp. All three weigh 21 pounds each. The 2402 and higher models have more efficient output circuity.

I'd encourage you to look into the 3002. They are plentiful on eBay, and much less expensive than the 3402. For some reason, there is a BIG jump in price for the 3402.

I paid $710 for one 3002 and $544 for the second one. The 1202 was $310. All these prices are average to below average eBay selling prices. For some reason, QSC amps consistently sell for higher than 66% of new-discount price. If you buy new, Lord Valve offers very nice pricing that includes shipping. He can also do the factory-authorized sensitivity adjustment to make the PLX reach full amplification with a lesser preamp voltage. The PLX 3002 requires 1.7 volts.

20. hey
    thanks for the info on pricage and stuff but I'm from Belgium (Europe that is :p ) and gear is more expensive over here (except Warwick, ENGL, Hartke and other EU gear)!
    So ... :D